Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2, 2007, 350 MCX
Kids' Board Questions

We have questions about boards for the kids. Anyone have any advice in choosing which one? We have 8 and 4 year old girls and want to get them up this next Summer. (maybe not the 5year old, we'll see. She's actually the braver and more willing one!) Are the kids boards made a bit more forgiving at all re: catching edges? As a newbie to Wakeboarding I'm unfamilar with design and features these boards have. I only ride on my board and know that it is not forgving.....at all. I'd hate to see my girls catch their edges like I do on mine.

Any help from you is appeciated!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
Talking

Depends on your price range. My niece who is 9 uses a very generic board ( she got at a local sports store- saved all of her allowance to buy it so she could go wakeboarding like me). She and her other friends were able to get up on the board and cross the wake a few times. I can't remember the brand, but saw the exact same board from
Overtons-looked the same just a different name.

My newphew got a hyperlite state 125-(we actually bought it for him for his birthday and had the Hyperlite team sign it at the Pro Wakeboard Tour in Portland this year). The difference is incredible. It might just be the difference between boys and girls, however the Hyperlite seems to be easier to ride. We are thinking of getting my niece one for Christmas.

Either way, get the DVD "The Book". We made all the kids watch it over and over again before we tried to get them up. It made all the difference in the world. Just the first DVD is all you need. We bought the entire thing, but you don't need it at first.

We were able to get a friends 5 year old daughter up on the generic board, and she loved it! I think it just depends on the kid.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Leroy

From what I have seen with my kids edges grab just as much, but it doesn't seem to hurt them as much!

Last edited by Leroy; 11-27-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
One thing that will help early on is to move the bindings further back on the board. Most boards have 4 points of adjustment fore and aft. This helps keep the tip up while they're learning to cross the wakes and get comfortable on the board. Gradually you can center the bindings when they want to try flipping the board around to ride switch,etc. FWIW we bought our daughter a Hyperlite Divine 119 and it seems just right for her (9 years old). It is a very lightweight board and easy for her to handle on and off the water.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
I have a 6 year old boy and he rides a CWB 2006 Trooper
It is very forgiving for young riders, with a good center fin
That you can remove later
A good pro shop should have a loaner board program that they will
Credit back the rental cost for a purchase later
I had my son road a loaner board for the first 3 to 4 times out
Have them ride there skate boards now, it helped my son a lot

Last edited by RexDog1; 11-29-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Temporarily Boatless
For 07 I believe that Liquid Force has a board called the Star, I think it is a 111 which would be perfect for the little one.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2, 2007, 350 MCX
Thanks for the tips..... we have the series "The Book" as well and that is a good idea to have them watch some of the first one. I know for sure it helped me get up the first time I got on a wakeboard. I never thought about the placement of the bindings....how that can help. I'm still unsure of what board I will buy, but I will still do some research. Our closest decent proshop is 3 1/2 hours away. Sometimes I feel getting opinions from others with kids is better than from a salesman, if you know what I mean. I'm sure all the boards are all similar in features, I just need to make a decision. Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
We got the little Hyperlite board for my 7 year old. I think it's called the Motive, and it's a 118 or 119. Great board. He got up on his first try and didn't have any problems with catching edges on it.

I also highly recommend the book and also practicing on some wet grass. That really helped my kids get the feel of it before they were in the water. I'm gonna run them through that drill again this spring before the season starts.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
[
I also highly recommend the book and also practicing on some wet grass. That really helped my kids get the feel of it before they were in the water. I'm gonna run them through that drill again this spring before the season starts.[/quote]
We did the practice on the grass thing as well. Really helped the smallest kids. We also did some pulling through the shallow water so they got the feel of being pulled a little bit. The smaller kids needed the extra reassurance- we taught about 15 kids to wakeboard this year from 5-16.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: X2 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-2
Thanks for the tips..... we have the series "The Book" as well and that is a good idea to have them watch some of the first one. I know for sure it helped me get up the first time I got on a wakeboard. I never thought about the placement of the bindings....how that can help. I'm still unsure of what board I will buy, but I will still do some research. Our closest decent proshop is 3 1/2 hours away. Sometimes I feel getting opinions from others with kids is better than from a salesman, if you know what I mean. I'm sure all the boards are all similar in features, I just need to make a decision. Thanks
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/338570.html

As you can see by this link there is so rule to binding settings
Everybody is a expert on them…shoulder width apart with a small duck
Have him/her kick a soccer ball, the foot that he/she kicks the ball with duck a little more
The pro shop, set my son’s Board to start, they had him to jump off a 1’ high block when he hit the ground
Is the way his feet were is how they set them up
We have change them a little but it was a good start