Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 mastecraft maristar 225
used cars

I have a question for you guys about used cars. I have been looking for a toy for about a month now. I was thinking a 1998 to 2004 corvette or a 1998 to 2002? Camero SS. I find a car i'm interested in, I go the www.kbb.com to get its value and its priced 5000 plus over its value. Why is this? My example is I found a 2000 vette, guy was asking 15K for it. KBB said it was only worth 10K in excellent condition.

Thnaks
Dave
Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
You could also try www.nadaguides.com

Your best bet is to search www.autotrader.com for other cars that are similar to what you're looking to buy. Of course a lot depends on the previous owner and how they took care of it.
Don't forget to check the carfax on any car before you buy it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
all depends on what market price is too ... i have a 2000 Corvette convertible ... i wouldn't sell it for KBB price as i think its worth more ... but just because i think its worth more doesn't mean someone will actually pay more
Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

nada said about the same.
I
'll keep looking but it would be awesome to ride in a MC with a vette motor and a car with the same!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
You could also try www.nadaguides.com

Your best bet is to search www.autotrader.com for other cars that are similar to what you're looking to buy. Of course a lot depends on the previous owner and how they took care of it.
Don't forget to check the carfax on any car before you buy it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

you being an owner, what would you take for it if it was for sale. FYI i dont want a convertible haha. PM if you dont wanna post public

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
all depends on what market price is too ... i have a 2000 Corvette convertible ... i wouldn't sell it for KBB price as i think its worth more ... but just because i think its worth more doesn't mean someone will actually pay more
Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme112279 View Post
nada said about the same.
I
'll keep looking but it would be awesome to ride in a MC with a vette motor and a car with the same!!!
Actually the corvette and camaro have LS-1 which is all aluminum and completely different than the LT-1. Also 310 to 405hp depending on car and model. Great engines and more performance than LT1 that it replaced.

I have a 2001 SS and it's hard to get that much bang for the buck. Great drivetrain wrapped in typical GM mediocre quality. Mine has been trouble free knock on wood. If I was looking for a camaro or corvette I would look for 2007 or newer corvette as 400+ hp and much better built than earlier ones. Performance is much more advanced as well. You can find unmolested LS3 cars for $28 all day long with less than 40k miles.

Corvettes are pretty good deals based on what they sell for used compared to new. When a newer generation is produced (with more, power, technology, and better handling), the earlier generations take a pretty good hit. 2001 cars had better intakes and more performance so command a small premium over 2000's. In either case, best to just see where pricing is at out in the market to get an idea of what they go for. Like M/Cs, the guides can be pretty inaccurate as to what they are really selling for.

Camaros pricing is all over the map based on whether it's been modified or beat on. Either way, a pristine SS isn't worth much more than $10k and examples can be found for 1/2 that. Z28s probably even cheaper...

Last edited by Rossterman; 01-28-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
As a former insurance adjuster and current body shop manager here is my take . It is illegal in my state to settle a claim based on blue book . A market specific analysis must be done . your best bet is to do your homework . This means talking to local dealers , looking on auto trader , car soup ect . If you can find someone with a dealers license and buy at auction . There are auto wholesalers that will do this for you but be prepared to buy sight unseen .
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme112279 View Post
you being an owner, what would you take for it if it was for sale. FYI i dont want a convertible haha. PM if you dont wanna post public
i love it ... was thinking of selling it to help pay for the garage i just built but knew i'd just buy another one ... i dont drive it every day, but man is it fun ... every boy wants a corvette, camaro, etc when he grows up!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
i love it ... was thinking of selling it to help pay for the garage i just built but knew i'd just buy another one ... i dont drive it every day, but man is it fun ... every boy wants a corvette, camaro, etc when he grows up!
LOL.. rented a camoro a few months back - felt like I was a teenager.. but I will never grow up
Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Corvette, maybe... classic Camaro, sure. Those catfish looking camaro's were ugly as sin though.