Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
And who says college isn't part of the problem.

In a nut shell, Nick Saban blames the police for having "TEAM" bias. Says they are LSU fans and that's why they arrested his all star tackle on felony gun charges. Do the excuses ever end? I am speechless. Gotta say this is bizzarro world . Not that this is anything new for athletes at big schools, but come on. Team bias. He also states the player will not receive any suspension for his actions. WOW what a great role model coach. No consequences for your actions. Hopefully they put him in prison instead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ball/87058902/

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 07-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Yeah, that's like a fart in church for sure. If nothing else, why were their not drug tested as soon as they got back on campus? I fairly positive they have a drug policy at the school.

The next question, why did the DA not prosecute them? I got it what he said, but that could be said about a lot of student athletes that get busted with drugs. I've never heard of athlete privilege before but clearly it's there.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
The big story to me on this one is the district attorney's statement: (from the link you posted)
All charges were subsequently dropped by Ouachita Parish district attorney Jerry Jones on June 20 for lack of evidence and because he didn't want "to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and their teenage years working and sweating while we were all home in the air conditioning."

The charges were dropped because of insufficient evidence. I an not sure how that can be when the initial report was that there was a stolen hand gun in the vehicle. I don't get how that gun is insufficient. In one part of sports, they are trying to make a bigger deal about athletes playing by the rules of society (domestic violence issues). But, on the other side, this district attorney is letting them off the hook because they are college football players.

If working outside and not sitting in the A/C is reason not to prosecute, then does that mean that everyone roofing houses, doing new exterior construction, paving roads, mowing yards, doing landscaping, etc are excused for their crimes as well? Or is it that the DA only excuses top quality (starters- with strong NFL potential) from their crimes? What is this was the third string punter? Or what if they didn't play sports at all? Where is the line?

(Disclaimer: I an Oklahoma Sooner fan - I am not partial, for or against, the school where this young man plays.).
Old 07-18-2016, 02:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post
The big story to me on this one is the district attorney's statement: (from the link you posted)
All charges were subsequently dropped by Ouachita Parish district attorney Jerry Jones on June 20 for lack of evidence and because he didn't want "to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and their teenage years working and sweating while we were all home in the air conditioning."

The charges were dropped because of insufficient evidence. I an not sure how that can be when the initial report was that there was a stolen hand gun in the vehicle. I don't get how that gun is insufficient. In one part of sports, they are trying to make a bigger deal about athletes playing by the rules of society (domestic violence issues). But, on the other side, this district attorney is letting them off the hook because they are college football players.

If working outside and not sitting in the A/C is reason not to prosecute, then does that mean that everyone roofing houses, doing new exterior construction, paving roads, mowing yards, doing landscaping, etc are excused for their crimes as well? Or is it that the DA only excuses top quality (starters- with strong NFL potential) from their crimes? What is this was the third string punter? Or what if they didn't play sports at all? Where is the line?

(Disclaimer: I an Oklahoma Sooner fan - I am not partial, for or against, the school where this young man plays.).
Stole my thunder. It's not like this was a minor offense. It's a stolen firearm. Possessed illegally while committing other numerous violations. The DA's statement is ridiculous. He's not ruining their lives. They chose to do it themselves. Saved by the athletic boosters @donations" I am sure.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
This is not just an issue at big schools. I have a brother that played D-1 athletics at a mid major school and do to this saw/heard of many run ins with the law that the coaches got sweep under the rug for the players. Nothing as serious as the ones stated above but still the same mentality. If you are an athlete you can get away with certain things no matter the level. I think it's similar to how if you have enough money backing you can get away with things.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
I am glad that several of you know what really happened. Also that you know they received no punishment. However, if it had been me, I would have rather faced a judge than face Saban and the punishment he doles out. At least a judge is limited by sentencing precedent.

Saban can punish however he likes and in this case, he was in a bad mood that day.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcnair View Post
I am glad that several of you know what really happened. Also that you know they received no punishment. However, if it had been me, I would have rather faced a judge than face Saban and the punishment he doles out. At least a judge is limited by sentencing precedent.

Saban can punish however he likes and in this case, he was in a bad mood that day.
I don't know what really happened. I know what the arresting police report was stated to say, but did not read it. Do you have some other fact that is not published? I get a coach can be hard on a player, but he can also be hard on a player who is not performing on the field. My statement, and I still stand by it, is that an athlete is getting out of the due process of law because in the words of the DA Jones:
"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning."
The law is the law - not just for non-athletes. I respect Saban as a successful football coach. I have never met him, can't comment on his character or actions. My comments are not about Saban or the Alabama football program. My comments are about high level athletes being above the law - and that I strongly feel is very wrong!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:

Here is a link to the arrest record:
http://sovweb01.opso.net/NewWorld.Ae...geKey=1A20H5Q8

It clearly states that a stolen handgun and marijuana were found in the car. And lists that the stolen handgun was a felony.

Here is a link to the statue:
http://legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78739

Section E states:
If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while in the possession of or during the sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

Last edited by kscrib; 07-19-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added statue
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:

A punishment at the field house has no lasting repercussions... Glad you're defending some drug using, hand gun stealing thug.

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 07-19-2016, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
A punishment at the field house has no lasting repercussions... Glad you're defending some drug using, hand gun stealing thug.
You are such an idiot. He didn't steal the gun nor did he know it was stolen. One day, when you grow up and get out from under daddy's wallet and protection maybe you will learn something.