Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Where do you buy your SCUBA equipment from?

I could buy it from the local dive shop but I am basically paying full retail. That would mean a few hundred more for a BCD, regulator, octopus, and gauges. On the positive side, it would be set up and I could trust that it is tested properly. Has anyone bought equipment online and been happy it?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Bought a scubapro knighthawk with air2 for $350 eBay.

Guy used it 4x and I got it and it looked brand new. A new KH runs $700

A bc should hold air over night and when inflated it should auto release to prevent over inflation. Buy one and put it in water to verify leaks. If no leaks then go use it. Note make sure it comes with power inflator hose. They are $50 extra if the bc is sold w/o hose.

I bought a brand new reg. To service a reg then expect a $100

Fins are fine online.

Mask should be bought at dive shop bc you will try on many to find fit.

1st and 2nd stage would be serviced if bought online. They are your life line so they must work perfectly. I personally would buy new. You can get a nice scubapro mk11 and c300 for $350. Then use an air2 instead of an octo. Keeps you streamline and less to get hung up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 PM
MC Maniac

I would not buy a tank online unless you verify hydrostat. Luxfur tanks after certain age will not be filled or hydro. I have one and they told me sorry that year tank will not pass so don't bother sending it off.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Thanks for the advice Kyle. When you buy a new 1st and 2nd stage do you have it tested as well? You are right on that these are very important.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:01 AM
MC Maniac

A brand new 1st and 2nd will have a serial number and be able to be tracked to the day it was built and the employee who built it. A new one will work. Every 2 years you must service it. Scubapro has a lifetime warranty on their products bought and serviced. Warranty covers parts only not labor but you must do annual or every 2 years for servicing. If you don't stay up on the service then the warranty expires. Mine has expired.

What is your budget?

Do you like a back inflate it vest BCD?

How often do you dive or anticipate diving?

Are you wanting to go tech diving and continue with further education past open water cert?

Integrated weight systems are very nice. I have a scubapro knighthawk and TxsRiverRat has an Aries Oceans 5. Both are nice but have 2 way different price tags. The scubapro has stainless D rings where the Aries has plastic. The SP has a cumberbun the Aries does not. Both are weight integrated back inflate BCD. They both would be very nice bcd's. You gotta think about what the purpose of the equipment is for. How much will you use it, are you planning on doing rescue classes or actually needing stainless D rings vs a recreation style bc that is more than capable of being a great BCD. Rats bc does everything mine would do in a rec environment, now if I was having a coast guard chopper winch me out of the sea with a victim then I would not even consider being air lifted with plastic D rings and would want my stainless. This is why it is important to identify your level or purpose for the equipment.

A back inflate on the surface is different. You must lay on your back (roll over and lay on back) vs a vest style like a life vest. A back inflate on the surface will push your face in the water if you don't roll over. Now under water the back inflate is very awesome.

I will tell you this from my diving experiences. The dive shops love to market and sell the most expensive gear. You can find great deals online and you buy what you want not what everyone else is using. Example, you don't need a scubapro mk25 1st stage as a recreation diver, you will not tell the difference breathing from it but it can go into frigid ice water where the lower grades will not perform as well in frigid water. The number of ports that your hoses hook up to will also be different. A recreation diver will not need a ton of hose ports on 1st stage. The 2nd stage is fine. If you are using it every day then I could justify spending more but you can get a nice adjustable reg for not too much.

When I get extra time and money I further my education in scuba. I plan on being a Master Diver in the next year or so. This being said, I still don't have all of the most expensive gear/toys. No one cares what you dive with or the brand, just make sure it works properly. Just make sure whatever gear you buy is comfortable to you. Go to several shops and look at gear. Rent a bc and find out what you're comfortable with. Then go buy a used one. Rat, I'm sure will chime in. He is a Dive Master. We have gone diving together and he will be the first to tell you that the most expensive gear is not going to make you a better diver. He loves his Aries and I love my SP knighthawk. A new Aries was the same price as my used KH. I bought the KH because I have always trained in one and for the price point the KH was a higher end BCD that I would not out grow with the future classes. He is now a recreation diver and he and his girlfriend both dive Aries oceans 5 bcd's. I have used his BCD before and it dives the same as my KH. As a rec diver it is not worth the extra money for a KH when other more affordable and plenty capable bcd's are out there.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-29-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskiluvr View Post
I could buy it from the local dive shop but I am basically paying full retail. That would mean a few hundred more for a BCD, regulator, octopus, and gauges. On the positive side, it would be set up and I could trust that it is tested properly. Has anyone bought equipment online and been happy it?
I'm certainly not above buying stuff online, but when it comes to dive gear, I like to stay local. At the end of the day, this is life or death equipment and I like to get my hands on it and get the opinions of experts on a one on one basis before purchasing.

I'm definitely not one to do the ol' check it out in store and then scout out the cheapest price online. It's rude as hell and I like supporting small business.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
I bought my regulator from craigslist and my BCD from ebay and had them both inspected and serviced at a local dive shop and not had one problem at all.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soacj View Post
I'm certainly not above buying stuff online, but when it comes to dive gear, I like to stay local. At the end of the day, this is life or death equipment and I like to get my hands on it and get the opinions of experts on a one on one basis before purchasing.

I'm definitely not one to do the ol' check it out in store and then scout out the cheapest price online. It's rude as hell and I like supporting small business.
I agree on not using the dive shop and then buying everything online. Let me clarify my only dive purchase online. I do all of my training with a search and rescue team. We ONLY use one dive shop in town even though there are many. Every bit of my equipment came from that shop minus the BCD. I've rented a few bc's from that shop over time and used an extra bc in classes until I found exactly what I wanted. So over the course of a year of trying before I bought. I'm looking for a new Nitrox Computer and I will probably buy that online. I've spent $X,XXX's at the shop over the years buying, renting, classes, refills, trips, etc and do not feel at all bad for saving a dollar at this point in the game.

If I was brand new to the hobby/sport and knew nothing about what was going on, then yes I agree don't go price the shop and cut their legs out from under them.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
My experience as a 26 year PADI divemaster:

1. Yes, you will typically overpay at a local dive shop. That being said, you have warranties and brand new gear.

2. Yes, you can save a buttload buying used, but you better know what you are buying. You do not know how that equipment was maintained. My 1st BC is 25 yrs old and looks almost brand new. Same with my regulator – looks and operates like new. if you buy a used BC, you might get one thats had alot of salt use and a rotten bag... Blow it up and the bag pops... Patch it with some aquaseal, blow it up, the bag pops in the next weakest spot. Regulator... That is your TRUE lifeline. Don’t risk buying something used that can fail at 130 ft – you can/will die in a scuba accident.

3. Online – I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE leisurepro.com – best website on earth. That and Scuba Toys here locally in Carrollton. I have slowly overhauled my entire setup via both places. New BC, fins, shorty, boots, mask, gauge console w compass and computer, etc – I am out about $630. I am STILL using my original regulator and it works GREAT.

Kyle pretty much hot the nail on the head

- Do not skimp on your lifelines – BC and regulator. Integrated weights are awesome.

- Buy a mask in person – you’ll need to be sure it forms a nice seal. Use soft scrub on the inside of the lenses to remove the factory film.

Reg and BC, you best know what you’re doing if you go the used route. Consider what would happen if your regulator freeflowed at 100 ft or stopped working altogether? Or what would happen if your BC power inflator hose button stuck and inflated full and shot you to the surface...? There is so much that can go wrong and even with 26 years of experience, I still respect the ocean / lake as I did day one.

Mark

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Some of my gear I bought online at http://www.leisurepro.com/. I got the regulator, rubber (wetsuit, boots, gloves, hood). They have the Perfect Fit guarantee. If wrong size they will reship a different size at no cost. So great for getting wetsuit. This is also where I get my wetsuits for boating.

I use backplate and winds (Dive Rite) so I got those items off eBay.

For tanks I bought use by finding local sellers on craigslist. I dive cold water so I was looking for LP95 tanks for the negative buoyancy and extra air. I just made sure that tanks were recently hydro'ed and new VIS. I also made sure that these tanks still carried their Plus rating.

I have a pool so I can check out all my gear pre-dive.

Tags
scuba