Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Family Boat '08 X-Star
Desperately!! Want to get in shape.

Here's one for all you fitness gurus.

I'm teetering close to the 30 mark, and have always been a big guy (200+ pounds since middleschool). I know that my frame (5'8" mostly torso, a chest the size of an oil barrell, 19" biceps) will never afford me the prototypical body type that seems to be the "norm" for men. I'm really just tired of fighting my belt and pants every year. Really my only problem area is in my belly region. I have committed myself to long term workout regimines in the past and have seen results to a plateau in which I get discouraged and eventually burn out. Due to this, I just put the weight back on.

I typically I incorporate circut lifting, an elevated heart rate throughout with minimal to no rest between lifts, and consistent intensive cardio (30+ minutes, usually interval). Once getting into a rythum, I notice the benefits of having more energy and a longer wind. I just can't seem to get over the hump and really get the results I truly want. Which is really just getting back down around to the two century mark would be the best thing in the world.

So my questions would really be:
-What can I do to avoid burnout?
-How can I get past the initial plateau and really get down to the measurements that would make me happy to look in the mirror again?

Don't be afraid to be brutally honest. Will give full disclosure.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Desperately!! Want to get in shape.

I don't know if this will help, but here goes. I am 51 and am that "thin" guy that still ended up adding a waist size every couple years after 45. Did a ton of weight loss oriented exercise--elliptical, bike, etc. I am not what you'd call heavy but not happy with the inevitable and seemingly irreversible expansion of waist and belly. On April 14, I ended up having a heart attack which resulted from three coronary artery blockages. Despite a balanced diet and treatment for cholesterol, the time bomb went off (no less, after a weekend of skiing). Since then, I have modified my diet to include more fish and less bread, but nothing radical--certainly not a health food person! Still eat chips, beer, deli, etc. But I do pay real attention to portion control. Have dropped 9 pounds since getting out of the hospital and should be able to peel off another 7-8 in the next few weeks. Used to just eat past the point where I needed to. Have had to break some bad habits and retrain myself a bit but it's been easier than I expected. I know it's a totally different circumstance but hope there's something useful here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
I got burnt out on the gym after 3 years.. Yea I'm kinda a meat head or gym rat whatever you em any to call it..

If crossfit is around your area look into it, I started it the first of the year. I really enjoy it even though I complain the whole time I do it. I get out of bed every day at 4am to go workout if that tells you much.

A good c.f. Instructor can help you loose weight, since you already have a lifting back ground your going to know what you can and can't do. The best crossfitter (if that's a word) in our gym is 52 years old and is in 3 times better shape then me. He went from old school lifting of 20 years to crossfit because he was getting bored at the gym.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Two suggestions...

Crossfit look into it, and try it. It'll kick your arse, but it's worth it.

Paleo. This is tough, but I guarantee you'll see marked improvements within a few weeks.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

I really appreciate your input. I'm glad to hear you're still with us. I can only imagine how terrible that experience was.

I've been more steadily contientous of my portions. It's much easier eating less during the hotter months. But I obviously need to shift that focus to year round. And to leaner meals.

And as much as I put the focus on the number in pounds, it's really not me wanting to hit a certain weight, per se, I just remember how my body is at that weight and would like to strive for it again.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah I've done tons of research on crossfit. I have no doubt I would absolutely love it as I am a very competitive person and love the variety that it offers. Big downside: It's really hard for me to justify forking out 250-400/mo. I just don't have stretch in the budget right now. But perhaps I may have to find it, as much as I keep hearing great results from others.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
I am 49 years old and now in the best shape of my life. Even though for the past 5 years I have been competing in Ironman events I was still a little pudgy around the middle (to me anyway). I just finished my A race for the year so in my research over the winter I have come up with two things that I started 3 weeks ago. First and I will say that I think this is the main area is I started "whole 30" it is a take off of many programs but most closely related to the Paleo diet. I have also started doing more HITS (High Intensity Training Sessions). I still run, bike and swim 3 days but the other days are two lifting with HITS plans and the other is a running HITS plan. In three weeks I have just about lost every bit of waist pudge and down to 173. I am 6'1 and have typically been between 180 and 187 and that is doing cardio for 12+ hours a week. Look into the Whole 30 or the Paleo diet. I have not had grains, dairy or sugar for 3 weeks and I feel so damn good. I will tell you the first week suck *** trying to figure out what to eat and boy do I miss bread and pasta. My good friend who is a PT is so thankful for crossfit and bootcamps as they are keeping him in business right now. Too many people are jumping in too fast and too hard.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelmilitiapres View Post
Yeah I've done tons of research on crossfit. I have no doubt I would absolutely love it as I am a very competitive person and love the variety that it offers. Big downside: It's really hard for me to justify forking out 250-400/mo. I just don't have stretch in the budget right now. But perhaps I may have to find it, as much as I keep hearing great results from others.

Thanks for the advise.
I pay $50 a month at my crossfit gym.. 250-400??????? How do they stay in buisness
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
It sounds lame but for the $ P90x is actually very good. It will get you to where you need to be to really push at stuff like crossfit.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
What I can share - my story is that 6 years ago at age 45 I was on that slow slide into softness. Sitting behind a desk, eating what I want. Still thought of myself as an athlete. I'm tall - 6'3" and was up to 240. Not obese, but definitely thickening. I committed myself to improving. Did 3 rounds of P90X back then, and ate clean - for 9 months. Got to 192, was 8% body fat, best shape of my life and I was a D2 athlete. But that's an extreme lifestyle that's hard to maintain. I started doing tons of research, because the health/fitness industry is 97% hype. Found several "no-BS" resources. Learned about a sustainable lifestyle. Mixture of weights, recreational cardio, yoga. Good sustainable nutrition (think habit, not diet). Now I stay at about 205 and am pretty fit at 51 and feel great.

So it can be done. It really starts between the ears, in goal setting. Getting clarity on your goals - short term, mid-term, and long term - is what sustains you so you don't fall off the wagon. Then it starts in the kitchen. Finally, in the gym. Most people have it backwards. I recently gave a presentation to a group of peers who were struggling with the same thing. I don't have all the answers, but there's some material in here that will help you get where you want to go. Mostly talking points, but you might get something from it. Hope it helps and good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vistage - Health and Fitness.pdf (597.6 KB, 144 views)