Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, S&S, 1982, 351
Anyone ride ATVs when not on the lake?

My other hobby/money sucker is tooling around in the mud on atvs. I've owned many different types and stiles of atvs over the past few years. I've come to find the most reliable brands to be Yamaha and Honda. I started with a 1989 Yamaha big bear 350, then a Honda 400ex, a Yamaha blaster 200, can't remember why I thought that would be good for all 6 foot and 200 pounds of myself. Went from the blaster to a Honda trx 450r then to a brute force 650 and that was my favorite to ride but it blew up. Now I'm back to a 1999 big Bear 350 just to get around. I want another big 4x4 but I've lost faith in Kawasaki. I'm looking at can am outlanders probably the 800 or grizzly 700. Does anyone have a brute force with some time on it? Maybe a sportsman? What do you guys ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I have a Honda Rancher 420 and its a great reliable bike. Honda make a great bike but some of my hunting club memebers that mud ride like the Can ams and the Polaris Sportsman.

The 420 doesn't have the power for mud bogging, but if that's what your looking for the Can Ams and Polaris are some of the best.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 x2
rzrs

we boat all summer then come fall through spring we camp and rzr ride with the family...not a four wheeler but a lot of fun...kids seem to enjoy it too so far
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, S&S, 1982, 351
I really like SxS but I don't have the room on most of my trails. I was looking at the Honda Rincon but I've heard the reliability of them is nothing compared to the rancher. My friend has a farm and they use a rancher for everything and it has about 2500 hours on it now and still runs like a champ

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvlx2 View Post
we boat all summer then come fall through spring we camp and rzr ride with the family...not a four wheeler but a lot of fun...kids seem to enjoy it too so far
Awesome RZR!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82S&S View Post
I really like SxS but I don't have the room on most of my trails. I was looking at the Honda Rincon but I've heard the reliability of them is nothing compared to the rancher. My friend has a farm and they use a rancher for everything and it has about 2500 hours on it now and still runs like a champ

Honda released the Rincon in 2003 and have done nothing-I mean nothing with it since then. I agree, they have made lots of nice changes to the rancher and rubicon. I would urge you to check out other brands before you buy. Lots of great and reliable competitors out there.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
I did a lot of research back in January before buying a new 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS. It's a beast. I bought it mainly to use on our property in the fall and winter. It was great on the trails in the limited amount of snow we had last winter.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82S&S View Post

You cant go wrong with the Rancher 420. They are a great bike and very affordable. I have seen specials out there right now in Louisiana for $4599.

I got a new one last year, 420 Manual Shift 4x4 for $4500 and paid 600 for a 3yr extended warranty which gave a total of 4 years of warranty. I use it specifically for hunting.

I was torn between manual shift vs. electronic shift, but I wanted a bike that was bare bones so I wasn't worried about things breaking and wanted it to last for a while.

Honda is probably the most affordable of them all. They are selling the Polaris Sportsman 450 in Louisiana for $3999 this weekend because its a tax free weekend for hunting in Louisiana.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
grizzly 700 over 3000 miles on it sense 2010 never let me down ever... I can't say enough about how reliable it is... and I have been out west, mudding, floating it.. dirting it... you name it... it just works.. and that is what I want it just works and has enough power even at 8000 feet to get me up steep steep grades in UT...

I personally am not a fan of polaris ATV's but that is JUST me... the Can Ams are pretty nice too... but I like the reliability of the Yamaha... I don't need an 800 or anything to fancy... but I do need them to work and not break... especially when out 80 miles from nowhere...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2004 5.7 MCX
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
grizzly 700 over 3000 miles on it sense 2010 never let me down ever... I can't say enough about how reliable it is... and I have been out west, mudding, floating it.. dirting it... you name it... it just works.. and that is what I want it just works and has enough power even at 8000 feet to get me up steep steep grades in UT...

I personally am not a fan of polaris ATV's but that is JUST me... the Can Ams are pretty nice too... but I like the reliability of the Yamaha... I don't need an 800 or anything to fancy... but I do need them to work and not break... especially when out 80 miles from nowhere...
Exactly!! My buddy has a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and its bullet proof. Polaris and the rubber drive belts...