Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
Steering wheel maintenance

Does anyone know for SURE what type of material my steering wheel cover is made of on my 2004 Prostar 197. My dealer has warrantied my steering wheel due to discoloration of the covering - NOT the chrome center but the covering on the outside of the steering wheel. I'm not sure if it's leather or vinyl, thus not sure what to use on it to keep it looking like new and protect it.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I would be willing to bet money that it is vinyl covered. If so just wipe it with a little 303 Protectant like you do (or should be doing ) to your seats every couple of weeks. Works great.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yes, I wipe my seats every week with Meguire's vinyl protectant. I take excellent care of my boat and is still in showroom condition. That's why I was wondering why my steering wheel became discolored. 90% of the time we ski from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and then the boat is wiped down inside and out and then put back in the shed. So I don't understand what made my steering wheel cover become discolored or faded if you will.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Received my new steering wheel from my Mastercraft dealer today and have it installed. Holding the 2 steering wheels next to each other really allowed me to see a big difference! Anyone - please let me know if you are certain of the material used on the outside covering of the steering wheel. Vinyl??? Leather???
2004 Prostar 197
Thanks.