Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-29-2006, 10:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and stripes
Air lock

Can someone please advise the best way to get the water flowing in the system after draining.
I have the same problem each time that once in the lake and started it doesn't get the water in from the lake and so does not circulate how can I avoid this please.

82 Stars and Stripes.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber 6
Can someone please advise the best way to get the water flowing in the system after draining.
I have the same problem each time that once in the lake and started it doesn't get the water in from the lake and so does not circulate how can I avoid this please.

82 Stars and Stripes.
Why do you think it's an air lock rather than a bad raw water pump, a bad circulating pump, blocked water passages, bad transmission cooler, bad thermostat etc?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 AM
MC Master Poster

Amber6- I would be looking at the oil cooler for weeds and sticks. This is one of the most neglected things on these boats. Unfortunately, it needs to be done on a lift or trailer if you don't want a bunch of water gushing into the boat. The way to stop it if you have to do it in the water is by stuffing a plastic bag into the raw water grate so the water pressure can press it against the hull and block the flow. Remove the hull side of the raw water hose to clear it out, put the hose back on and tighten the hose clamps. Remove the plastic bag and if the impeller is good, you should be on your way.

If an impeller lost any part of the vanes, remove the thermostat cover and look for a piece in the pencil-sized hole on the cover. That and the impeller being installed wrong are two easy ways to have problems. And cook an engine.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
remove your raw water intake hose from the boat and stuff a hose down it, start the water, start the boat, system is primed.

don't forget to reinstall your raw water intake hose to the boat and double clamp it.