Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991, Tristar 190, 351
Algae/Green muck on boat bottom

My MC gets wintrerized/cleaned/stored at my local MC dealer. BUT I have a bass boat that I winterize myself. Was wondering what you all use to get the algae cleaned off the bottom of your boats? I was wondering if there is a spray on/soak/wash off cleaner I could use.

On my float boat I use muriatic on the pontoons but know I can not use that on fiberglass/gel coat. Tell you what though - if you have an aluminum boat - a dilute solution of that does the trick and makes em look like new.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205V
Sno-bol or similar liquid toilet bowl cleaner. Usually they have maybe 25% hydrochloric acid. The best thing to do is to put the liquid in a spray bottle, spray on, let sit for a minute, and then scrub if necessary with a brush or a sponge. Then spray off with a hose. I did this on my 2000 with no problems to the gel coat, and I'm a picky guy.

Don't forget the hand and eye protection.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
MC Master Poster

You can use Simple Green and cleaners like that or Zing makes one for fiberglass, too. Once it's clean, you may need to rub it out to get it as smooth as possible and if the algae is hard to get off of the hull, it soulds like it was never waxed. Give it three coats of a good wax and it should be easier to clean in the future. If the water is really bad, you may want to consider pulling the boat out after running it.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo
My MC gets wintrerized/cleaned/stored at my local MC dealer. BUT I have a bass boat that I winterize myself. Was wondering what you all use to get the algae cleaned off the bottom of your boats? I was wondering if there is a spray on/soak/wash off cleaner I could use.

On my float boat I use muriatic on the pontoons but know I can not use that on fiberglass/gel coat. Tell you what though - if you have an aluminum boat - a dilute solution of that does the trick and makes em look like new.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.
I would use muratic acid on fiberglass long before I'd use it on Al. Acid can attack the intergranular structure of the Al. Sno bowl that everybody loves some much, and Zing are both diluted muratic acid.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991, Tristar 190, 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by phecksel
I would use muratic acid on fiberglass long before I'd use it on Al. Acid can attack the intergranular structure of the Al. Sno bowl that everybody loves some much, and Zing are both diluted muratic acid.
Interesting - all the marina's around me use muriatic on the butt-load of pontoons on the lake. I will have to inquire about that.

Thanks for the replies - will try snobowl I guess.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo
Interesting - all the marina's around me use muriatic on the butt-load of pontoons on the lake. I will have to inquire about that.

Thanks for the replies - will try snobowl I guess.
Sno-bowl works great! However, wear gloves AND glasses! It's powerful stuff! And make sure you don't have any cuts where it can get into. It will burn like hell!