Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Edelbrock Intake

Well, I got the Edelbrock Performer intake put on yesterday. I haven't run it officially yet, but did have a few questions.

I had a local (and trusted) auto mechanic put it on. He told me the adaptor plate for my Holley 4160 wasn't necessary. After much discussion, he put it on. What is the purpose of this plate and what's the downfall of not putting it on?

Also, anybody care to guess at the weight difference between the new AL intake and stock?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Just got back from DIM. Looks cool to me. Did your old im break??

Ok I'll play. How about 160Lb

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
Downfall may be a massive vaccuum leak? I believe the adapter plate just allows more sealing surface for the 4160carb (a square bore set up). The Edelbrock intake is cast for a spread bore carb. If you go to their website www.edelbrock.com, you will see the adapter plate you purchased for this set up. I believe it is Edelbrock part number 2732 and the intake you have is 2181.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP
Just got back from DIM. Looks cool to me. Did your old im break??

Ok I'll play. How about 160Lb
Nope, I just wanted to boost my performance a bit. I don't think these things weigh anywhere near that much.

Martini, that's what I was guessing. Fortunately, I was very stubborn. These guys have been good mechanics for my cars, but boats tend to confuse them a bit.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

O I forgot to chime in on the weight difference. I would say a difference of about 20-25 lbs. It is amazing how "meaty" the stock cast iron slug of an intake is.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
MC Hero

Cool, thanks.

I forgot to mention, inasmuch as it was the subject of some discussion on a previous thread, that you don't have enough room for the stock flame arrestor under a 91--94 motorbox. Thus, I've ordered the low profile flame arrestor from DIM this morning.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah, marine engines in general, when you talk to an auto mechanic, tend to make them "pucker-up" for some reason. I have a set of original GT-40 heads from my 94 Cobra that I just had cleaned, valve job and mounting holes drilled to 1/2 inch. I was trying to tell the machine shop to install brass threaded inserts, along with brass freeze plugs, where there are cast iron ones. They just looked at me and said "we can install brass freeze plugs. We've never seen brass threaded inserts." I said don't worry about it, I'll get my own. Then they proceeded to try and convince me that I won't need to worry about it.

Last edited by martini; 12-16-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
MC Hero

These guys weren't afraid to tackle it, but I had to enlist SWCC's help to get the right gaskets. The guy that was arguing with me about it wasn't the person I usually deal with. The main guy was searching high and low for gaskets the day before because, while he had some that would match, he didn't want to scrimp on it.

There are some things, i.e., perfect pass, that I would only use a dealer for. But bolting on an intake or a carb, I'll use the local guy and just show up with my flush fitting when they're done. There's also a conspicuously placed sign that reads, "Do not start this boat unless it is hooked up to a water source."

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

I forgot to lead in with, "my winter project". Since I am not selling my boat I decided to "spice" things up with GT-40 heads that I have laying around and possibly the intake upgrade as well. We will see.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:07 PM
MC Hero

If it warms up in this part of Texas any time soon, I may take the boat out and give it a run as I am very anxious to see if I can tell a difference with the new intake. I'd pondered getting the heads shaved when they were up in the engine monkeying around, but decided to take baby steps with my performance upgrades.

I'm wondering when somebody is going to offer something comparable to those tuned exhaust risers for older boats that indmar is slapping on the new engines. They're claiming 5% increases in HP and torque with a slight increse in fuel economy.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club