Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205V
Homemade Fake-a-Lake

Using a number of ideas from this forum as well as lessons learned along the way in my 2000 Prostar 205V, here is my homemade fake-a-lake system. I wanted to use the "bucket" method because I have low water pressure at the hose and because I wanted to be able to suck water into the engine, so I scrapped the idea of making a Fake-a-Lake with a plunger (although I'm convinced it could be done for $5 or so).

What I ended up doing was using a ball valve (no flow restriction) screwed onto the original thru-hull intake. Running the ball valve wide open would be for normal operation, allowing the water pump to draw from the lake. Closing the ball valve allows me to "tap" into the raw water line without sending some of the water back out the bottom of the boat, also ensuring no air leakage. This picture shows what the system looks like for normal operation.

When I'm back in the driveway for winterization procedures, I close the ball valve and attach a hose to a galvanized T-fitting, so the water flows through the T-fitting and into the raw water pump.

Notice I had to cut my spa hose into two parts in order to assemble it in such a tight space. I wanted the system to be easy to assemble, yet 100% secure and airtight.

I can place a ten foot non-collapsable spa hose into a bucket next to the engine, and the suction is great for water or anti-freeze.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

While I was at it, I also installed the Y-adapter for the heater to run hot at low RPM's. This involved cutting into the raw-water hose and installing the Y fitting that I bought from Wakeside for $35. I also had to cut about 5 feet off of the 5/8" return hose from the heater which previously ran into the back of the engine.

All of the installations were in "theory" and not necessarily guaranteed to work, but I can report that the boat has been lake and driveway tested extensively and the whole system works great, and I even have heat at low RPM's now.

Thought I'd share some pics if it would help anybody in the future!

Last edited by etakk7; 10-24-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
pretty neat....but get those leaves outta there

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Looks good!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have not experienced it first hand but people say that a wet leaf and white vinyl do not mix! Luckily I did it on a dry day. Unfortunately, on October 4 at the cabin in Northern Wisconsin it's very difficult to keep leaves out of the boat! I made sure to vacuum once it was safely in the garage.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Nice job. Will cut down on the time for sure. Make sure you have adequate water pressure at your house to keep up with the boat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yes, that was my concern, so I use a 5 gallon bucket, filled to the top, then start up the engine and keep the hose going into the bucket. The boat pulled in the water slightly faster than the house could pump it into the bucket, but I was able to run the boat long enough to get up to operating temp.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Leroy

Nice looking install! I would like the same thing in my boat.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
What size ball valve and other plumbing id you use? Where did you acquire it? Thanks, Jamie
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Looks Great! I have some questions about this whole thing. Why not just disconnect the hose from the through hull intake and put it in a bucket from there? Is the ball valve necesary or is it just something else to worry about when putting the boat back in the real lake come spring? Just questions from a rookie boat owner. Like I said the setup LOOKS great.