Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 10-31-2006, 05:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Sammy Duvall 190 EVO
Very very nice! The vinyl looks great.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Barefoot 190
Hey Shep,
I think Grant makes the identical steering wheel. I was looking in a Jeg's catalog (hi-perf car parts) and saw a wheel that looks just like to one in my boat ('89 Tristar), and should be same as yours. The wheel was around $40, if I recall correctly.
If you don't have a Jeg's catalog, try jegs,com.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Barefoot 190
Yeah, I just went to Jegs.com and looked. It's a Grant Challenger, part no. 470-414.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Funf
You'll want to be very careful when using a high-speed buffer on any surface. Practice on something you don't care about first...

I haven't tried a high-speed buffer on my boat, but on my cars, I only use the Porter-Cable orbital. Anything else requires a very delicate touch and lots of experience so you don't damage the surface.

You should be able to rent either of these at your local rental place if you only do this once a year...either that or borrow one from a buddy for a six pack
I thought the same thing M-F. But then I read this from the properboatcare.com web site:
"We recommend using a professional circular polisher to restore and maintain gel coat (Fiberglas) finishes. Unlike delicate automotive clear coats, the gel coat finish on your boat is exceptionally tough and very resistant to damage. Even the first time user can safely use a circular polisher to remove oxidation (chalky dullness) and restore a glass-like shine."

I found this statement to be true. As a "first time user" I was impressed how easy the job was with the buffer. I kept the speed to 2500 rpm maximum and only had to apply light pressure to the surface to get the color to come out.

[Disclaimer : I'm not associated with properboatcare.com in any way, but was just led to them by others who have posted on this forum. While I am completely satisfied with their products, I'm sure there are other similar products out there that will do just as good.]

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
I thought the same thing M-F. But then I read this from the properboatcare.com web site:
"We recommend using a professional circular polisher to restore and maintain gel coat (Fiberglas) finishes. Unlike delicate automotive clear coats, the gel coat finish on your boat is exceptionally tough and very resistant to damage. Even the first time user can safely use a circular polisher to remove oxidation (chalky dullness) and restore a glass-like shine."

I found this statement to be true. As a "first time user" I was impressed how easy the job was with the buffer. I kept the speed to 2500 rpm maximum and only had to apply light pressure to the surface to get the color to come out.

[Disclaimer : I'm not associated with properboatcare.com in any way, but was just led to them by others who have posted on this forum. While I am completely satisfied with their products, I'm sure there are other similar products out there that will do just as good.]
That's good to know...I'm thinking about going over my boat to bring back the color this winter or next spring...I guess I need a new power tool for Christmas

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by viabill
Hey Shep,
I think Grant makes the identical steering wheel. I was looking in a Jeg's catalog (hi-perf car parts) and saw a wheel that looks just like to one in my boat ('89 Tristar), and should be same as yours. The wheel was around $40, if I recall correctly.
If you don't have a Jeg's catalog, try jegs,com.

I got a exact replacement Grant steering wheel at Advance Auto Parts for $38 + tax when mine started peeling paint when boat was 1 year old. Grant said it was because I had used ArmorAll on the rubber and the spokes and it caused the paint to release from aluminum spokes.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I just went to Jegs.com and looked. It's a Grant Challenger, part no. 470-414.
Quote:
I got a exact replacement Grant steering wheel at Advance Auto Parts for $38 + tax when mine started peeling paint when boat was 1 year old. Grant said it was because I had used ArmorAll on the rubber and the spokes and it caused the paint to release from aluminum spokes.
Well, whattayaknow??? After reading viabill's post, I stopped by Pep Boys this evening and they had the same steering wheel

Exact match no?

Thanks guys! That's one reason why I started this thread. I knew there was a lot of knowledge out there that I could tap into. I probably never would have started this project without the info and support I get from TeamTalk.
Attached Images

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 PM
MC Addict

A few turns of the wrench, replace the "GT" decal with the "MC" (of course ) and VOILA... Took me 10 minutes.

Note to self: no Armor All on the steering wheel
Hmmm, looks like I need to try to find some new rocker switches for my instrument panel...
Attached Images

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Hmmm, looks like I need to try to find some new rocker switches for my instrument panel...
You are not going to be able to find exact match switches. Just wipe some 303 on those switches and they will look 200% better. The switches on my '88 looked like that and with the 303 looked almost new.

Nice job on the new wheel by the way.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 11-01-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Tournament Team Edition Prostar 197
Send a message via MSN to #47of100TeamMC
Quote:
Front deck after....

As you can see, I still need to replace the pinstriping. I need to paint my air vents still and put them back on. And I'm going to replace the rubrail insert.
Have you replaced the rubrail yet? I've got a proposal for ya... I know a guy who makes an LED lighted rubrail. He just so happens to be one of the partners at the Patent Law Firm I'm employed at... He has the patent on the LED lighted rubrail and is marketing it to Jen-Mar. I'm trying to get him to put one on my bote and I could be a walking bilboard for him. Only problem is that I don't need a new rubrail. anyway, if your interested, I could look into it for ya. maybe we could get a 2-for 1 deal.