Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
wow! nice job Sheperd....

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj
Wow, it looks great- nice job!

Id love to hear how hard it is to redo the pinstriping when you get to it. Im afraid if I were to redo mine it would be hard to keep straight and end up looking wavy.
Thanks. I'm hoping the pinstriping won't be too difficult. They actually follow the border between the red and white portions of the hull so I can just use that as a guide to keep me straight.

As for wax vs. sealants, I went ahead and used the liquid sealant that came with the kit, but I applied it by hand. It wasn't too hard and I didn't have to worry about splatter from the machine. I too was concerned that a regular wax wouldn't "seal" the gel coat. I'll probably follow up with a good carnauba wax after everything is done.

The fenders are coming Tom! I want to completely refurbish the trailer after I'm done with the boat -- sandblast, paint, LED lights, new wheels. We'll see... but at the very least I'll be buffing out the fenders and replacing the lights.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
Thanks. I'm hoping the pinstriping won't be too difficult. They actually follow the border between the red and white portions of the hull so I can just use that as a guide to keep me straight.
It is not difficult. It re-did mine 2 years ago. Take your time and be patient.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
Quote:
Pinstriping is relatively easy. The trick is to do about 1-2 feet at a time. Have fun with it! Worst case scenario, it is a little wavy and you have to peel it off and start again. Heck, the stuff is only $5 bucks a roll. Experiment a bit until you get it right.

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:13 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott
Pinstriping is relatively easy. The trick is to do about 1-2 feet at a time. Have fun with it! Worst case scenario, it is a little wavy and you have to peel it off and start again. Heck, the stuff is only $5 bucks a roll. Experiment a bit until you get it right.

Good Luck!

Please don't try to apply tape stripes a couple feet at a time as you WILL get waves in it, always pull it in long lengths slightly stretching it like a chalk line to keep out waves, then go back with a damp towel to tack it down followed up by a squeegie to set it. Once you lightly lay it down for the first time, don't look at it from the side @ a 90 deg angle, look at it from bow to stern and stern to bow to see if it is staight. I've been applying decal, tape stripes and hand painted pinstripes for 35 years.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
MC Addict

Thanks for the advice TMCNo1! I'll do exactly what you said. I assume that regular automotive pinstripe tape (like they sell at Pep Boys) will work. If for some reason I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Just finished buffing and sealing the dash tonight. No pics yet (too dark).

Last edited by shepherd; 10-31-2006 at 01:20 PM. Reason: moved old dash pic to next page
Old 10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Thanks for the advice TMCNo1! I'll do exactly what you said. I assume that regular automotive pinstripe tape (like they sell at Pep Boys) will work. If for some reason I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Just finished buffing and sealing the dash tonight. No pics yet (too dark) but here's a "before shot."

Use Pledge Furniture Polish on the black fiberglass and apply heavy every couple weeks or Liquid automotive spray wax on a rag to apply, then buff with a micro fiber towel.

The original vinyl tape stripes were manufactured by Sharpline Automotive Appearance Products, deck stripe 1/4" [1 color] 150' roll and hull stripe 1/4"+1" combo [2 color] 60' roll. It has a clear film over the stripe that has to be removed after application, then cleaned with solvent to remove residue. Check around town at sign shops and body shops to see where the buy their stripes wholesale locally and they can probably hook you up with Sharpline or you can try to Google. It is not the cheap striping tape you can buy locally at auto parts or Wal-Mart, it is 2 mil cast vinyl and good stuff with premium adhesive for obvious reasons. I got with our boat in '89, a roll of each kind for replacement purposes over the years, but there is no address on the boxes, sorry. If I find any info I'll pass it along to you.
EDIT, go to www.sharpline.com and it is the company, Sharpline Converting Inc. I have e- mailed them for some info, I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, you contact then thru their site contact link for a retailer near you.

Another tip, before you start laying down some $$ colored tape, go to the local hardware and buy a couple rolls of cheap $1, 3/4" masking and experiment with laying down the long stretched stripes first. You won't regret it and you will see what I mean about not having any waves, just take your time!
Any place you are going to apply your permanent tape stripes, wipe it down good with denatured alcohol prior to application to remove any wax, silicones, oils, etc and run a tac rag over the area to remove any lint or debris that will show up under the tape. Any other questions, just pm me, I'll be glad to help.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 10-29-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
I haven't bought the components separately before, so I can't say. The kit is great because it comes with all you need. I just finished buffing the hull and deck tonight, I just need to hand buff a few areas that the machine wouldn't reach, then seal/wax it all.

Here's a pic from when I was midway through the starboard side, showing the difference. It took very little effort to bring back the color with the circular polisher.

I'm going to try to find some touch up paint to hide that big scratch - it's pretty deep. I decided I'm going to replace that pinstriping also.
You might be able to carefully wetsand the "insides" of that scratch and get it to match. It will still be indented but should be able to be sanded to a gloss...

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
Nice job Shep! Looks Awesome. So far you have a new interior, the out side looks great and you have retaken Man's land! Park that crap out side! The garage is for bikes and boats! Now trade that Harley in on a Valk and all will be right in the universe!
Great pics and nice thread!
HB

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
MC Addict

Not sure about that Harley/Valk trade HB... but I did consider trading in my Harley, my old Formula boat, and this PS 190 for a newer model PS190/197. Maybe in a year or two...

Meanwhile, I'm still working on this one. I only managed to paint the airvent grills tonight. Used this satin black "rust preventive" paint after I quickly sanded them and washed them in warm soapy water. Hopefully it will hold up.
Attached Images