Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
TT Newbie

Replacing Steering Cable 2001 X-Star

I have a 2001 X-Star that has a very tough-to-turn steering wheel. Lubing the lube points did not help. I was told that I need a new steering cable. The mechanic I use at my marina is not a mastercraft technician. After looking at how the cable is run, the mechanic was thinking that he'd have to spend a lot of time opening up the boat and removing things (like the gas tank) so that the old cable could be removed and the new one installed.
He suggested I ask around to see if he was missing something and to ask if there is a better easier quicker way to replace the steering cable in a 2001 X-Star.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Um no offense to your mechanic, but I'd find another mchanic.. Someone on here suggested tying a rope to the old cable, then pulling it out.. then tying the same rope to the new cable and doing the opposite.. I have had some baaad experiences with boat mechanics that are not used to working on inboards..... just sayin
Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte72
Um no offense to your mechanic, but I'd find another mchanic..
I disagree. At least this guy will ask for some hints or tricks to speed him up. Sounds like a straight shooter to me.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
I just replaced mine on a 2000 PS190. I ordered the cable from Lex at Rambo Marine ($165) and did the work myself in a couple of hours. Like was already stated here, tie a rope to the steering cable shaft at the rudder end, unbolt the gear mechanism at the steering wheel and slowly pull the cable (from the steering wheel end) out while the rope follows. Then tie the rope to the shaft on the replacement cable and slowly pull the rope (from the stern end) until the shaft comes through and reassemble.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
welcome billyboard... check out this thread.... it has an answer to your question AND it's your boat

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...light=steering

p.s. Let me know how you make out b/c my '01 205V (same boat as X-Star) has the same problem and I have to replace the cable as well this winter
Old 10-27-2006, 11:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
billyboard,

did you get your cable replaced? How much was the cable and did that fix your problem?

Thanks,
beatl78
Old 10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK
I disagree. At least this guy will ask for some hints or tricks to speed him up. Sounds like a straight shooter to me.
I agree he sounds like a straight shooter. My point is mechanics whom are not experienced with inboards (not a mastercraft technician) can really mess some stuff up and cause more damage than good. It is good that he asked the question, but a good mechanic would look this info up himself. I take things to a mechanic because I don't know how to fix them. Why then would the "expert" ask the customer for advice? I can almost hear the conversation now..

Mechanic:"That's gonna be a big job looks like I'm gonna have to tear the boat apart to fix that" "its gonna cost you"

BB: "Hey wait before you do that I'm a member of a forum for MC owners, let me see if there's an easier way"

I have a buddy that has a carburator in a box in a million pieces. The mechanic was reputable for OUTBOARDS. The starter had to be replaced before the selenoid was even tested. Now he has a new starter and a new selenoid. Bad part is when he asked a different mechanic to test the old starter it was fine. The new starter costs the buddy $300.00 which is way too high anyway+$100 labor for a couple bolts and a couple wires.. I just have a problem with anyone who will accept work without knowing the true way to fix it.. Had billyboard not been privy to this site he may have been charged several hundred dollars in labor alone.