Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Mastercraft Boat Care Products...any good?

Has anyone used MC boat care products?

The back of my '01 MC, which used to be hunter green, is now VERY light green.

I was going to try this meguiars kit to restore it.

http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-rv-kit...oration-System

Thanks,
beatle78
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205V
Beatle - again you appear to be living in a parallel universe.

The previous owner of my boat kept the boat on a covered lift, but the sun obviously hit at a certain angle because the only non-perfect side of the boat was the back, which was pretty oxidized. I got the 3M restoration/oxidation wax from Wal-Mart for $9.50 to attack it. I own a Makita variable speed rotary buffer (model 9227 I believe), so I put masking tape over the vinyl letters and attacked the back end of the boat. I used a foam pad with the 3M product at a low RPM (around 3000) and I completely brought back the shine after following with a hand wax of Meguire's Flagship wax.

My understanding is that Mastercraft uses a thick gel coat, so you shouldn't have to worry about going through it. I should have taken before and after pics and also a pic of the foam pad, which turned dark green in the process, meaning I took off a layer of gel coat, which is the whole point. I did attempt to hand wax with the 3M product but it didn't do the trick - i can't quite generate 3000 RPM's by hand!

I attached a pic, I'll take a closer one when I get a chance to visit the boat in storage. Look at that damn swim platform, always wet! Not for long...
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
There is a product made by The Flood Company called "Hull Works" that I have seen work miracles. It will bring the shine back and treat the fiberglass.
You might also want to do a search on the board for the discussion about the wonders of "303 Protectant". A lot of people have had success in bringing faded glass back to life with it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
The 303 deal is a quick and temporary fix. Looks great in the garage but not so much once you get it out on the water.

Buffer and rubbing compound is the only way to go with serious oxidation.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
The 303 deal is a quick and temporary fix. Looks great in the garage but not so much once you get it out on the water.

Buffer and rubbing compound is the only way to go with serious oxidation.
The "Hull Works" provides a longer term fix from what I have seen, without the need for rubbing compound and a buffer. You will need some elbow grease, however the results are very nice.
I saw a boat that was red and sits in the water getting baked by the sun, before and after and it was amazing.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Don't know anything about the hull works. I will have to check it out.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Before going through a whole big process get yourself a bottle of the Meguires Color Restorer. It works really well at brining back the color to the gel. Follow up with a good quality wax. The black dash on my '88 had some really bad oxidation. I used the Color Restorer on it and followed up with wax and it looked like new. Just rubbed in small circles by hand.

If the oxidation is really bad you may have to do a more agressive process but try the Color Restorer first.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 10-19-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
etakk7,

hehe, that's funny. Too bad we weren't neighbors......

that back looks NICE!.... I think i'm going to try that color restorer first before I go with the buffer..... but I have a feeling I may use the buffer approach.....

thanks for the input.....

p.s. can't wait to get my platform out of the water .... it was so slimy the other day I tooka spill and landed on my back GRRRR.... no pain, just fuelled the fire GRRR
Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Before going through a whole big process get yourself a bottle of the Meguires Color Restorer. It works really well at brining back the color to the gel.
Second. I used this on some of my dealer induced blems and it worked pretty well.