Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
SEAL who shot bin Laden speaks out

This would seem to be an interesting story
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...143245195.html

Quote:
The U.S. Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden is speaking out for the first time since the May 1, 2011, raid on the al-Qaida leader's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

He told Esquire he decided to speak out to both correct the record of the bin Laden mission and to put a spotlight on how some of the U.S. military's highly trained and accomplished soldiers are treated by the government once they return to civilian life.

Despite killing the world's most-wanted terrorist, he said, he was not given a pension, health care or protection for himself or his family.

"[SEAL command] told me they could get me a job driving a beer truck in Milwaukee," he told Esquire.
Plus, he said, "my health care for me and my family stopped. I asked if there was some transition from my Tricare to Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said no. You're out of the service, your coverage is over. Thanks for your 16 years. Go f--- yourself."
The problem seems to be that "The Shooter" left the military well before the 20-year requirement for retirement benefits.

“In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead," he told Esquire. "Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed. He was dead. I watched him take his last breaths. And I remember as I watched him breathe out the last part of air, I thought: Is this the best thing I've ever done, or the worst thing I've ever done?

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Well as far as the protection that he wants for retaliation he's not helping his situation by going public.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
First rule of Fight Club.........

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
he should've stayed until he was eligible for his pension and some form of health care for himself and his family

Tricare isn't what it used to be but it's better than nothing, I'm sure Obama will make it worse

I know that these guys are elite and do great things for our nation, many things that will never have a word uttered about them.

There are lots of people who get out of the military and don't get the opportunity to utilize every benefit that's available to them. It doesn't matter if they are Special Ops or cooks at the chow hall everyone is entitled to these benefits and should have access to them.

I heard an interview with the guy who wrote the Esquire article, he stated that "the shooter" didn't want to fly a desk but the thrill of the kill was gone. He should have parked his @ss at that desk for a couple of years or taught at the schools, the thrill of killing that monthly retirement check is pretty frickin sweet.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Something that is interesting to me is the fact that someone actually is labeled as "the killer" instead of it actually just being an exchange of gunfire where no one actually knows who killed who..... just the fact that bin laden was killed.

I guess you'd never know how it's going to go down, until it hits the fan.

It kind of seems to me like SEAL Team 6 has lost some of it's integrity, in regards to the other member writing his book, but of course.... that's from the outside looking in, from news accounts.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I'm surprised (ok not really) there was nothing offered to him by our gov't. Lot of training, lot's invested in Seals... As always the truth will lie somewhere in the middle. I am a believer of all military are covered for life the moment the go into harms way.

I also believe he should have made sure his ducks were lined up to receive all benefits for his service.... since the smart ones (doh!) are governing the country not?

Any way "the shooter" didn't get Osama - Obama did - !
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
If he knew how long was required to work in order to receive benefits after retirement, why on earth did he quit? Couldn't he have just worked a desk for a few years to ensure the health safety of his family? Seems like a massive blunder here on his part.

I feel sorry for his situation, but this really could have been avoided pretty easily.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I think someone posted this just to get me going. I won't get into what I really feel, but just let the record show that there were other "elite" guys around and none of them are running around talking about what they did or how great they are. Being in that position is an inherent thankless job so don't cry about not getting recognition because you think you deserve it. You aren't special. Everyone in the service gets their benefits the same way, by serving 20 years. If you couldn't finish out your career for anything other than medical reasons, then too bad. The SEALS have tarnished the reputation of the armed services special operations community and its directly related to the commander of the special operations command...a navy admiral. Of course he's going to make it seem like his branch is more capable than the others. They need to stick to maritime operations and stay off the terra firma. That is all. Sorry
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
he should've stayed until he was eligible for his pension and some form of health care for himself and his family

Tricare isn't what it used to be but it's better than nothing, I'm sure Obama will make it worse

I know that these guys are elite and do great things for our nation, many things that will never have a word uttered about them.

There are lots of people who get out of the military and don't get the opportunity to utilize every benefit that's available to them. It doesn't matter if they are Special Ops or cooks at the chow hall everyone is entitled to these benefits and should have access to them.

I heard an interview with the guy who wrote the Esquire article, he stated that "the shooter" didn't want to fly a desk but the thrill of the kill was gone. He should have parked his @ss at that desk for a couple of years or taught at the schools, the thrill of killing that monthly retirement check is pretty frickin sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
I think someone posted this just to get me going. I won't get into what I really feel, but just let the record show that there were other "elite" guys around and none of them are running around talking about what they did or how great they are. Being in that position is an inherent thankless job so don't cry about not getting recognition because you think you deserve it. You aren't special. Everyone in the service gets their benefits the same way, by serving 20 years. If you couldn't finish out your career for anything other than medical reasons, then too bad. The SEALS have tarnished the reputation of the armed services special operations community and its directly related to the commander of the special operations command...a navy admiral. Of course he's going to make it seem like his branch is more capable than the others. They need to stick to maritime operations and stay off the terra firma. That is all. Sorry
Indeed!

The contract is laid out pretty clearly. It's the same for everyone. It doesn't matter what your kill count is, you are no more entitled to benefits then any other person that got out after 16 years. If you can't "ride" a desk for 4 years for 50% pay and full family medical that only cost $468 bucks a year then you are too short sighted for you own good. He has no one to blame but himself. If nothing else, surely you shouldn't ***** to some rag magazine over a decision that was clearly your own!!

Quiet professional my ***!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 02-12-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Cantrepeat,
You know Quiet Professional doesn't apply to SEALS. That's just an SF thing lol. All of this made evident by Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and all the numerous books put out.