Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
New Hampshire Wakeboarder Dies from Injuries

Local man in serious condition
by Adam Dolge
adolge@seacoastonline.com

EAST KINGSTON -- An East Kingston man practicing for a water-skiing competition was med-flighted to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston after the wakeboard he was riding struck him in the head and knocked him unconscious.

Emergency crews arrived at Kingston Lake responding to a 911 call that a man wake boarding was unconscious. The wakeboarder, Matthew Davis, 30, of East Kingston, was transported to Exeter Hospital, examined, and then med-flighted to Beth Israel Hospital. As of Monday morning the hospital reported he was still being treated and he is in serious condition.

Wakeboarding is similar to water skiing but instead of riding on skis the operator uses something more like a surf board.

There were six people in the boat, said Kingston Police Chief Donald W. Briggs Jr., and Davis was apparently practicing for a water ski tournament. The wakeboard hit him on the head as it passed the wake that followed the boat. Briggs said there was no indication that alcohol or drugs were involved.

The passengers in the boat, after turning to check on him, noticed he was unconscious in the water. They were able to pull him onto the boat, administer first aid, and call 911.

The boat brought him to the boat ramp where Kingston Fire and Rescue continued to administer emergency treatment.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol Bureau is investigating the incident.

excerpt from http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/e...jured0711.html
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Keep his Family in Your Prayers

Injuries claim man's life

By Adam Dolge
adolge@seacoastonline.com

EAST KINGSTON -- Matthew Davis gave life his all and in death his giving will go on. As a youth minister he touched young people's lives, as a brother and son he inspired his family, and in death his body will go on to help save more than 50 people.

Looking through old photographs of Matty, the name he went by around his parent's home in East Kingston, a smile never seemed to escape his face, according to his family Whether it was rock climbing with his little sister and her husband, holding his niece on his shoulders, or on a boat with his little brother, Matty's smile seemed eternal.

The 30-year-old died at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston on Monday morning following a wakeboarding accident the weekend before. His family was with him, by his side, holding his hand as he died.

He suffered two strokes in the week that followed the wakeboard accident in which the board hit him in the head, causing a compound fracture of his skull.

In the house he grew up in, his family gathered Thursday morning to speak about Matty's life.

He was born at Exeter Hospital, like his three younger siblings, and graduated from Exeter High School in 1994. He was active in theater and singing. He was also athletic, especially with water sports as his family vacationed on a lake.

But his family says that Matty's true calling was that of God and spreading the word of Jesus. After graduation he spent a year at the Berkshire Institute for Christian Studies in Lenox, Mass. He visited the Holy Lands during his time at the institute and climbed Mount Sinai. He graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1999 with a degree in communications.

Matty started youth ministering at the Advent Christian Church in Eliot, Maine, and performed missionary work in Honduras. As an example of his passion to help others he returned home with just the clothes on his back, the rest, including some expensive boots, were given to the villagers in Honduras.

"It was his passion," his mother, Susan, said about his youth ministry and missionary work.

"He wasn't a rich man, but in terms of spiritual richness, I don't know a person that has more," his father, Steven, said. "He was my first born, and I love him very dearly. He was always so happy to be the big brother."

The family's old photographs portray his love of being the big brother perfectly. Several pictures showed him holding his little sister Stephanie, or his arm around his younger brothers Luke and James, always with a huge smile on his face.

His mother recalled the way he looked at his little brother Luke when he was born. Matty was just 2 years old, and already he was so curious to meet his new brother, again giving him a big smile.

He moved around a while after graduating from college. Mostly he moved to be closer to his church and the summer youth camp called Lakeside Advent Christian Camp in Belgrade, Maine. No matter where he was working at the time, he would take two weeks off over the summer to be with the kids at the camp.

In the beginning of June he felt a calling to move back home to be near his family and work with the young at the family's church Haverhill Advent Christian Church, in Haverhill, Mass.

"Over the last month he spent time with each of us, almost like it was meant to be," Steven said. "It was like he was going home to be with Jesus. He had a love of life that was deeper than most."

Last Sunday he and his parents went to church and he was asking if they could have a family dinner that night. As Steven started cooking dinner Matty came in with a bag of steamed clams, something only he and his father enjoyed together. His brother James called him that evening to go wakeboarding with him and his friends.

James said he was out on Kingston Lake wakeboarding with some friends, one of which was a professional wakeboarder. Matty joined them and just as they were ready to call it a day, he decided it was his turn to give it a try. He had been wakeboarding before, but never with a boat the size they were using that day.

He caught a wave wrong and the board hit him in the head.

"I've had many spills and it didn't look to be too bad," James said. "But he wasn't moving."

James dove into the lake and with the help of another friend they pulled him onto the boat and administered CPR. Returning to shore, he was rushed to Exeter Hospital, where his parents were already waiting for him. Soon he was flown to Beth Israel Hospital and within three hours of the accident he was in surgery.

Over the week the family stayed with him. He could not open his eyes or speak, but he could grasp their hands, and squeeze, a sign he was still there for his family. Doctors performed two surgeries, but he had two strokes.

Just after midnight on Sunday his parents received a call from the hospital that Matty had taken a turn for the worse. At 1 a.m. Sunday they called their children and they all rushed to the hospital to be with him. He died around 9 a.m. on Monday.

As a family, the decision was made to offer Matty's organs to others in need.

"Even in his death he'd want to give his all," Steven said.

Doctors said since the family agreed to offer all of his body as a donation, he could save 50 to 55 people.

"He was ready," Stephanie said. "His heart was already with God."

"We know where he is, he's with the Lord," Steven said. "We have that comfort knowing that we'll see him again. We're still mourning, we're still sad, and we don't understand why he's gone."

As the family deals with the loss of their oldest son and brother, they said they can be at peace knowing he lived a life for others and that one day they'll be reunited with the man that never seemed to stop smiling.

Excerpt on http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/e...ident0721.html
Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Sorry to read this.
Really scary accident.If i would be a wakeboarder,i'd wear a helmet.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by André
Sorry to read this.
Really scary accident.If i would be a wakeboarder,i'd wear a helmet.
what my buddies were saying, the investigation proved that a helmet wouldn't have prevented the injuries because he hit the board in his temple where most boarding helmets don't protect...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 0000000
My sympathies to the Family !
Old 10-14-2006, 10:28 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Last year I went to a couple of water sports stores here looking for a wakeboard helmet. In both places I got this long lecture about how helmets for wakeboarding are dangerous (drag on neck) and they didn't sell them. I wanted it for hydrofoiling. I subsequently started looking online, and after buying/trying 3 different helmets I settled on a Pro-Tec Ace - it's comfortable, protects the temple, and covers the ears (IMHO, eardrum ruptures are much more common than skull fractures).

The temple is the thinnest/largest/most vulnerable part of the skull and this poor guy obviously got nailed by the board and fractured over the middle meningeal artery which runs right through there - bleeding between brain surface and skull (epidural hematoma). I suspect even a beanie helmet would have prevented or minimized the damage. I see this stuff all the time - always tragic.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
This is very sad. Sounds like he was a great young man who served the Lord and I always wonder why he takes some of his best people so early in life.
I'm sure that he is experiencing joy now with God that is beyond anything we can imagine.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
What Steveo said ^^^^^^^^ At least he knows he'll be enjoying a more beautiful life with the prince of peace. how cool is that!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 10-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 barefoot 200,,,, w/ sampson sports tower, w, tubes, amps , lights, racks, 1500 in water ballast sweet set up
sorry to hear this ,, all prayers are for him this week,,,

a friend also died from a head injury 4 weeks ago while kiteboarding here in ct.

a pro-tec helmet would of save both of these great guys,,, please protect your head while riding R
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Last year I went to a couple of water sports stores here looking for a wakeboard helmet. In both places I got this long lecture about how helmets for wakeboarding are dangerous (drag on neck) and they didn't sell them. I wanted it for hydrofoiling. I subsequently started looking online, and after buying/trying 3 different helmets I settled on a Pro-Tec Ace - it's comfortable, protects the temple, and covers the ears (IMHO, eardrum ruptures are much more common than skull fractures).

The temple is the thinnest/largest/most vulnerable part of the skull and this poor guy obviously got nailed by the board and fractured over the middle meningeal artery which runs right through there - bleeding between brain surface and skull (epidural hematoma). I suspect even a beanie helmet would have prevented or minimized the damage. I see this stuff all the time - always tragic.
It's like anything.... Motor Cycles, Snow Skiing, etc. There were/are always the people to down helmets & make up stories of how "un-safe" they are. I always wear one snow skiing & usually (I know - I should always) wear one 4-wheeling.

I do wear a neoprene helmet slalom'ing for ear-drum protection. Maybe it's time to look at a hard-shell brain bucket for h20. Where did you end up getting yours?
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.