Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-12-2006, 03:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 ProStar 190 Stars N Stripes
Osmosis Blistering - Gelcoat Repair - Costs?

Thanks to EastTXSkier for his help on the threads referencing the gelcoat osmosis blistering. So now that I know what's wrong, I need some help determining how much I should pay...

The extent of the damage is that there are 1/4" bubbles basically covering the entire bottom and a few inches up the side of the boat. (84 SNS). I did some research, and found out that the boat was left on the water one season when it was new. The owner got the memo from MC, and decided to sell the boat as soon as he noticed the blistering.

So, the blistering is roughly 20 years old, and hasn't progressed further, but it looks bad. I will have to have it sanded, and then I'll likely have them shoot the entire bottom/sides of the boat so it all matches.

Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect to pay?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Master Craft 1985 Prostar 190, 454 HO -425 HP, Stars and Stripes Blue
New Gelcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdaines@hotmail.com
Thanks to EastTXSkier for his help on the threads referencing the gelcoat osmosis blistering. So now that I know what's wrong, I need some help determining how much I should pay...

The extent of the damage is that there are 1/4" bubbles basically covering the entire bottom and a few inches up the side of the boat. (84 SNS). I did some research, and found out that the boat was left on the water one season when it was new. The owner got the memo from MC, and decided to sell the boat as soon as he noticed the blistering.

So, the blistering is roughly 20 years old, and hasn't progressed further, but it looks bad. I will have to have it sanded, and then I'll likely have them shoot the entire bottom/sides of the boat so it all matches.

Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect to pay?
I have patched places using the gelcoat paste, then sanded it down with wet paper starting with 600, 1200, 1500 then 2000. and it worked out fine. I guess you're not planning on doing it yourself? I would take it to someone who does 'Barrett Auction' type paint jobs, I know a guy here in town (Athens, GA) his name is Rich Dean. His business is Classic Design and Fabrication. If it isen't done right it will look terrible and the new paint might not last as long as the original if it isen't sealed properly.

You've got to consider the cost of decals, the gelcoat, activator, reducer. Probally allready talking about 3 or $400. The labor and time in the shop will probally cost around $2500.

Heck I would sand and paint it myself and save the $2500 or more. But I have the right stuff to fix it but I don't hire myself out to do it.

BTW, why don't you two tone or do some kind of unique design on it if you're going to go to all that trouble?

Edwin

Last edited by edwinfuqua; 10-12-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
I have this same problem except for me it's only where one of the original trilare bunks would rest against the hull. I never noticed it until I got a new trailer. I haven't decided whether to fix just that spot or use it as an excuse to restore the whole hull.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Thanks to EastTXSkier for his help on the threads referencing the gelcoat osmosis blistering.
I did what now? Glad whatever I did helped, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did.

That's crack for you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 ProStar 190 Stars N Stripes
I talked to one gelcoat repair guy, and he told me that repairing the gel isn't too hard, but that doing any kind of graphic scheme is incredibly difficult, because they do it in the mold the first time it's done.

I'm not sure about that, but it seemed to make sense...

EastTx - a few weeks ago, you forwarded me an old thread that covered this issue...

I'd love to do some graphics - maybe even gel the SNS graphics right in, rather than vinyl. I had written this off as impossible. Is it something that can be done now?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
I talked to one gelcoat repair guy, and he told me that repairing the gel isn't too hard, but that doing any kind of graphic scheme is incredibly difficult, because they do it in the mold the first time it's done.

I'm not sure about that, but it seemed to make sense...

EastTx - a few weeks ago, you forwarded me an old thread that covered this issue...

I'd love to do some graphics - maybe even gel the SNS graphics right in, rather than vinyl. I had written this off as impossible. Is it something that can be done now?
Well how 'bout that. Glad it helped.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.