Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07' Mastercraft X30 LY6
Advice from those of you who have kids...

First off, I know this is a Mastercraft forum and yes, I've been a MC owner since 2008, but I know many of you have probably been in my situation and I'd love some advice.

My wife and I had our first little boy this past May and as expected, our boating life has changed! Now that we have the little guy, we spend 99% of our time just cruising and trying to keep him out of the sun. We aren't really using our X-30 for what its built for, Watersports. With plans to hopefully have another boy or girl in a year, we are seriously considering taking a break from the inboard boats and moving to a small cabin cruiser in the 22 or 23' range. This would give us a place to get the little ones out of the sun, a place to nap, and a place where the wife can breast feed with privacy. The only time I get to use the boat for surfing or wakeboarding is if i get a "hall pass" and leave them at home, which i don't really like to do. I figure we could use the I/O till the kids are 3-4 years old then get back into a Mastercraft.

#1 Is moving to a small I/O cuddy a good idea for the next 4-5 years?

#2 If so, which brands should I be looking at? (I like the lines on Cobalt, Fourwinns and Regal, but don't really know the ins/out of the runabouts).

I've been struggling with this all Summer... I had posted my boat for sale in the classifieds a few months back. Got immediate interest and asked a mod to remove the ad. Our x30 is near perfect and once I sell i can't change my mind.

Last edited by EarlyriserX9; 10-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyriserX9 View Post
First off, I know this is a Mastercraft forum and yes, I've been a MC owner since 2008, but I know many of you have probably been in my situation and I'd love some advice.

My wife and I had our first little boy this past May and as expected, our boating life has changed! Now that we have the little guy, we spend 99% of our time just cruising and trying to keep him out of the sun. We aren't really using our X-30 for what its built for, Watersports. With plans to hopefully have another boy or girl in a year, we are seriously considering taking a break from the inboard boats and moving to a small cabin cruiser in the 22 or 23' range. This would give us a place to get the little ones out of the sun, a place to nap, and a place where the wife can breast feed with privacy. The only time I get to use the boat for surfing or wakeboarding is if i get a "hall pass" and leave them at home, which i don't really like to do. I figure we could use the I/O till the kids are 3-4 years old then get back into a Mastercraft.

#1 Is moving to a small I/O cuddy a good idea for the next 4-5 years

#2 If so, which brands should I be looking at? (I'm liking the lines on Cobalt, Fourwinns and Regal, but don't really know the ins/out of the runabouts).

I have never been in your situation BUT I would say your idea is a good one. No reason to have your MC depreciate and you not getting the full use out of it. I think a small cabin cruiser is a good idea for you so long as you're not really regretting it on these "hall pass" occasions. Good luck
Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
When our kids were at that age our big outings in the boat consisted of a 15 minute ride each way to one of the resorts. It would have been very difficult to keep our sanity if we had tried to put a full day in on the boat at that time. I know that not having a place for them to take naps would take it's toll. I think that cuddy will help. I remember a few years ago it seemed like our kids would be that age forever and then you blink and one of them is in high school. Enjoy them while they're young because it really will go by fast.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I would get an older sea ray Sundancer 260 or something.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
I'm with you on the new kid deal. I was in a similar situation earlier this year, and decided to sell our beloved ski boat and move into something larger with kids (obviously not an issue for you). We went through a lot of options of other boats from a used I/O to a brand new boat, and in the end decided to get an older boat we wouldn't care about if the kid dropped Cheetos or whatever.

What we did is change our boating style. We no longer do the sun up to sundown boating days, and we pretty much go home when the boss says so. Wake surfing has been amazing for us because it's slow, not bouncy for the child, and our little one nods off quickly with the sound of the water. We find where the sun is and run in that direction so the wife and kid are in shade full time. I've actually been looking into extended biminis lately. My wife has the feeding thing down with her coverup so that is not an issue for us. We also boat closer in the local bay (saltwater) and can be home in 20mins.

In the end it's up to you and the boss, so do whatever she wants realistically. For me, I didn't want to end the watersports options. Having another on the way though may sway my opinion. My experience with cabin cruisers is bouncing around in the open ocean in the stale musty bow, so I'm not the one to comment.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
We just had our first in May. It has definitely changed our typical operations, but my wife is a trooper. We have both made a distinct decision and effort that our child will not end our program. Is it tough? Yup... especially when the kid hates the car seat and the boat and water are 5 hours from home, but we still do it. Our kid will come around and adapt. This may sound harsh and probably paints me in a negative light, but as much as I love her, I feel it is important to get her out in the middle of it now and for the rest of her childhood. This goes for everything in life, not just boating and watersports.

This last weekend we spent about 10 hours on the boat on Saturday. We skied, boarded and footed. I look forward to the day that someone does not have to physically hold our daughter when doing watersports, but it will come sooner than later.

I'd say she is adapting pretty well. This is a shot of her on the engine hatch while at anchor on Saturday...
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
My kids are 1 and 3. The younger will be 2 on the first. Boating with the kids is defnitely different than without if just for the amount of prep time it takes. I would say it's always going to be a give and take. We thought about what you are thinking about and decided to just keep our boat that we are happpy with. This year we had a bimini which is a lifesaver with kids. The year before was terrible unless we got a sitter. My kids both love the boat and do very well on it though. The biggest thing for us was bringing things for them to do and buying them the most comfortable life jackets we could find. If the kids have toys and snacks they seem to do well. We also are careful to plan around naps and do stop and let the kids play in the water a lot. Like you said, it's just different. Forget about going out all day unless you are going to stop at a beach a while and let them hang out at a playground. It was really rough until the end of this summer. Now both kids are getting good about being out and knowing what they can do. They both like riding on the surfer with me and tubing also. No matter what, it's a good time on the water and a good time spent with family. The difference for me being that when I do get a set behind the boat, I enjoy it being on a good wake and my wife can set the PP and give me a good pull.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
We bought our Prostar 195 in 02, summer 03 she was pregnant. Summer 04 she was 6 months old. Another baby in 05. Pregnant again summer 06.
To say the least, we have been through it. Breastfeeding, the whole bit. Put an oversized bimini on. Lots of short trips. Closest lake is 40 minutes each way. But we made it work. The kids adjusted fine.

I would not go without for sure. Change to a cuddy? Not for me. We did pretty good in out direct drive. We just sold it this spring and bought our X45. The youngest is 8 now. I would think the X30 would be great. Maybe a bigger bimini would be worth it. I would never go back to an I/O.

Good luck with making a decision. You will still be welcome here no matter what you decide to do.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
all the above is good advice. you didn't mention whether you are trailering or not. i never faced the decision you have. i think our youngest was 4 or 5 when we first got on the water. i'll also preface by saying i've never had a cuddy cabin boat, but they seem pretty small, particularly if your wife wants a comfortable place to feed. i like the suggestion of a used 260 sun dancer. certainly not a comfy weekender, but should give lots more space than a cuddy. towing might be an issue depending on your tow rig. i'll also go way outside the box and mention a pontoon. you can get them with some pretty nice "day" enclosures which enclose the rear half of the boat or a full enclosure. the nice ones have windows/netting that can be zipped in and out and most can accommodate a travel potty. the rails of a pontoon are usually tall enough that the kids can't climb/fall over. any way good luck. if you sell, i wish i was in the market. your boat is exactly what i want.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07' Mastercraft X30 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
all the above is good advice. you didn't mention whether you are trailering or not. i never faced the decision you have. i think our youngest was 4 or 5 when we first got on the water. i'll also preface by saying i've never had a cuddy cabin boat, but they seem pretty small, particularly if your wife wants a comfortable place to feed. i like the suggestion of a used 260 sun dancer. certainly not a comfy weekender, but should give lots more space than a cuddy. towing might be an issue depending on your tow rig. i'll also go way outside the box and mention a pontoon. you can get them with some pretty nice "day" enclosures which enclose the rear half of the boat or a full enclosure. the nice ones have windows/netting that can be zipped in and out and most can accommodate a travel potty. the rails of a pontoon are usually tall enough that the kids can't climb/fall over. any way good luck. if you sell, i wish i was in the market. your boat is exactly what i want.
Sorry I meant to include that we trailer each way. I drive a new F150 and I think the capacity is 9 or 10k. We are only about 3 miles from the nearest ramp.