Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 10:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X30, 2015
Wake surfing with 15 x30

Hello All,

we bought a 2015 X30 last season, which we got to use for 3 days before winterizing, and am excited to take it out! We have the 5.7L engine, and i have bough an OJ 815 prop to handle ballast for surfing. I plan on upgrading the back sacks to the 750lbs

Main question;

What fill/drain time settings are you X30 owners, with the swapped out 750 bags, using?

Also, for those that have installed audio equipment namely amps; what size screws did you use to attach them to the observer wall. I read some where that 3/4 was the appropriate size. Does this seem accurate? For reference, i plan on adding 2 JL MHD 600s.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft x30, 2015 6.2ops
Hey nibbles

Thought I'd wait to see what advice you received on this as I technically don't have anything to offer your queries directly.

You might consider going to 1100's rather than 750's. The wave is superb. I modified my rear lockers and relocated the ballast pumps so that I could maximise the capacity of the bag but it was fairly simple to do and was well worth the effort. We can generate an awesome wave either side with just a driver and observer and it keeps getting better with more weight. I also added piggy back bags to the front lockers which helps as well.

Fill and drain times took a little bit to work out and they will vary of course depending on what bags you use and the degree to which they fill, but its only a two minute job to adjust the times until you get it right.

I plan on heading to the lake this weekend so I'll pull a screw out of one of my amps and see what was used, in lieu of someone else chiming in. It was a factory install on my boat.

Good luck with the 30, its an awesome boat and with only three days on it, it will be like getting a new one all over again!!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by black x30 View Post
Hey nibbles

Thought I'd wait to see what advice you received on this as I technically don't have anything to offer your queries directly.

You might consider going to 1100's rather than 750's. The wave is superb. I modified my rear lockers and relocated the ballast pumps so that I could maximise the capacity of the bag but it was fairly simple to do and was well worth the effort. We can generate an awesome wave either side with just a driver and observer and it keeps getting better with more weight. I also added piggy back bags to the front lockers which helps as well.

Fill and drain times took a little bit to work out and they will vary of course depending on what bags you use and the degree to which they fill, but its only a two minute job to adjust the times until you get it right.

I plan on heading to the lake this weekend so I'll pull a screw out of one of my amps and see what was used, in lieu of someone else chiming in. It was a factory install on my boat.

Good luck with the 30, its an awesome boat and with only three days on it, it will be like getting a new one all over again!!
^^^ good advice
Except he has the 5.7 and even with 815 prop.. 750s are the max ( they barely fit full)

I lined the side coffins with 500lbs lead to bring some wt forward.
With to much wt in the rear the throttle was pretty hammered and fuel use was very high.

In my 6.2, it did not matter.

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
I will have the same questions, in a way, with my 08 X30. I know it's a completely different boat (I think) than the newer 15s but I have no idea what to fill, timing etc. I believe I have 3 hard ballast tanks and then there's a fat sac on the port side locker (no idea the size). i don't know if I want to fill every tank/bag, or just some of them? I'm such a noobie...I still have to figure out the VDIG system!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30 350MCX
David - I would recommend calling WakeMakers - mention TeamTalk to get a discount.

I got a bag for each rear locker and a v shaped bag for the nose - along with all the pipework and connectors to plumb them into the overflow of the existing system.

I don't have timers - but think you probably do - so they will need reprogramming, but there's a thread on that.

For surfing I completely fill the KGB & front bag - and completely fill whichever side we want to surf.

I have a center trim tab - that goes down about way

Then its 10.5 MPH and you're good to go
Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Banned

Boat: 2016 G23 H6
You should have the updated software (if you don't get it) from your dealer for surf mellow and steep settings on each side. They are pretty good.

As for weight, your 5.7 will likely not be able to handle more than 750s.

The formula is 750s in the rear, 300-400 lb of lead hidden in the nose. Easy as pie.

Fill times will likely be around 11-12 minutes for the rear hard tanks and 750s and about 5:30 for the center hard tank

I would not recommend a bag for the nose. You can easily achieve the weight needed with lead and it will all be hidden
Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Why no bag at the nose ?

Mine's under the seats - so not visible - is there a benefit to the lead option ?

I guess with lead the weight is permanently there, even with the KGB & other tanks empty - is that a good thing for skiing etc ?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Why no bag at the nose ?

Mine's under the seats - so not visible - is there a benefit to the lead option ?

I guess with lead the weight is permanently there, even with the KGB & other tanks empty - is that a good thing for skiing etc ?
I didn't realize your bag is hidden. How big is the bag?

One advantage I'm assuming is you can fit more weight in lead. I currently have about 450 lbs.

The other benefit is you can move the lead for wakeboarding and clean up the port side.

The third advantage is that I have heard it levels the boat out and actually helps with skiing. I'm guessing the difference in negligible.

The fourth advantage is no pumps are necessary. Just flop the lead in the bow and you're done.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPhil View Post
I didn't realize your bag is hidden. How big is the bag?
I'm fairly sure it's the X2 one - so 690lbs - but probably less as it's unlikely to fill completely due to the way it fills the under seat storage space

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...2-bow-sac.html

but could be this 650lbs one -

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...d-bow-sac.html

I might try to get hold of some lead as well - thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I'm fairly sure it's the X2 one - so 690lbs - but probably less as it's unlikely to fill completely due to the way it fills the under seat storage space

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...2-bow-sac.html

but could be this 650lbs one -

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...d-bow-sac.html

I might try to get hold of some lead as well - thanks
Wow that fits under the seat! Do you have a pic? I might look into this for long trips to avoid trailering with lead