Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 195, 350 LR, yr2000
Wake surf waves

My Lake Association is having discussions about the type of inboards it wants on the lake. Wake surfing has become a big sport on our lake. Members are concerned about the waves hitting the shore. I read an article about non-breaking wave that generates more power because the boat has no ballast. a breaking wave from a inboard filled with ballast would generate a wave with less power. I would like to proof to them that a wave from a 20' GS20 or a 20' X20 wave at full ballast at 10mph is a softer slower wave then say a 19 ' I/O wave at 10mph which wave would be generating more speed and being lager. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 X46 7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by culver View Post
My Lake Association is having discussions about the type of inboards it wants on the lake. Wake surfing has become a big sport on our lake. Members are concerned about the waves hitting the shore. I read an article about non-breaking wave that generates more power because the boat has no ballast. a breaking wave from a inboard filled with ballast would generate a wave with less power. I would like to proof to them that a wave from a 20' GS20 or a 20' X20 wave at full ballast at 10mph is a softer slower wave then say a 19 ' I/O wave at 10mph which wave would be generating more speed and being lager. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Waves hitting Boats and Docks is one issue, Damages docks and property.
Shoreline damage vs existing non wake Boat traffic is negligible as you have already guessed
a 20' Bow rider moving at the right speed can create a similar wake as view at the shoreline...
most of this activity is on weekends in the summer months during the days.....
this is a small amount of activity for wave creation vs 365 day a year in the life of a lake

I have read some ideas about keeping water sports activity further away from the shoreline to lesson the impact of the waves

still does nothing about the average Power Boat making a large wake due to a non planing cruise speed

In many cases no NEW laws are needed, just enforcement
"You are responsible for Damages caused by Your Wake"
this is a bit difficult to decipher, It requires a heightened sense of awareness by the Captain...and leaves a lot to his/her judgement. "Do I slow down. for every Kayak, and Paddle Boarder" or " Just hot chicks with Toddlers I don't want to drown"

2014 X46 GEN2 7.4 !!! FOR SALE !!!
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Take a look at this. May help you with some reference material

http://www.usawaterski.org/graphics/...waysManual.pdf
Old 01-25-2017, 12:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Sounds like your best bet to is be willing to negotiate? Depending on the size of your lake perhaps propose distance requirements from shore for those engaging in surfing? Might not be ideal but it preferable to an all out ban. Some might disagree but the way I see it, if these discussions gain momentum it might be a good idea to be willing to work with those leading the charge against surfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 12:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
More reference Material. See page 27 for Boat wake discussion

http://www.dlwid.org/Research/2011-T...udy_Report.pdf
Old 01-25-2017, 07:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Nautique G23
I have actually sat at my dock on a busy day, and watched the different types of waves as they rolled in. I had just redone my extended shoreline with 1 1/2 washed stone, thinking that it would stay in place, and prevent erosion in that area of the shoreline.

I can tell you with absolute certainty- something about the average IO going by at 10-20mph causes a certain type of wave that undertows shoreline material A LOT more than a surf wave. It's hard to see as they come in, but it almost seems that the IO wake is constantly rolling over itself, whereas the wakes off the surf boats were just a swelled portion of water moving in.

I had no idea about any of this until I saw it for myself. The smaller IO waves were pulling my stone into the water and making a lot more noise as they crash into shore. The surf waves sort of just push in without breaking.

That said, there was only 2 boats surfing at the time. My friend in his G23, running about 5k of ballast, and family close by, with a new Supra SA. I can't verify that other boats might not create a surf wave that breaks more. That said, both of these boats have respectful operators, and they maintain a minimum of at least 300-400 feet from shore.

Only thing I can say for sure, is that I was sitting there, sort of dumbfounded, watching the two completely different types of waves roll in.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Sounds like we need the guys that did the surf wave study for MC to do the Surf boat vs I/O plowing - ping pong ball study on shore line erosion.