Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Check Engine Light

1999 Maristar 210 VRS 330 hp EFI engine 600 hours

Went out for the first time last weekend, took the kids wake boarding (20 mph), no problem. Going back to the dock 3000-3500 rpm and the check engine light goes on. Shut it off, started and the light is off, hit 3000-3500 rpm and it goes on again. No loss of power or strange noises when the light is on.

Temp was steady at 160, oil pressure 35-40 psi while running. Checked the oil, level was down about 3/4 quart, added oil and the light still goes on at 3000 -3500 rpm.

Gas - Stored the boat indoors (unheated) with 5/8 tank & stabil. Could I have some water in the gas from condensation? Plan to add some high octane gas and a bottle of dry gas

Transmission fluid, will have to check the level, would a low level cause the light to go on?

Impeller - Didn't change it this year but the temp looks good at 160

Transmission cooler - I'll check for debris but with the temp being good don't think it is blocked

Knock sensor - Read on a related post that a bad one could cause the light to go on. Never changed in 17 years. Anyway to check it?

Paper clip method to check for a fault code. Will try that this weekend

Anything else I should check? Thanks for your help
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Pull the code and let us know which number.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 x-15
I had my check engine alarm and light come on this weekend. This is on a 2007 x15. I found the battery terminal (negative) was loose. I had not checked this when I picked it up from the dealer who had it in storage. I checked all fluids, temps etc and everything else was fine.

I cleaned all connections and actually put new terminals on and then the light went off after 5 cycles of warming to operating temps then cooling to cold. .

I can't do the paperclip trick and actually was getting ready to haul the boat out to take it to the dealer to get it read when it finally went out. I seemed to have to go through 5 cycles of heating and cooling before the alarm would reset. I did read on here that it should take 3 cycles.

Good luck.

John

Last edited by Narrowscraft; 06-01-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
I too have a random check engine light with everything seeming normal. Does the computer store these codes like a car does? it goes off once the boat is restarted.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-Star, 1997 X-Star, 1994 Maristar 225VRS
Yes as long as it's EFI the computer will monitor the motor and store codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 12:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
My check engine light goes off every now and again (LTR 330). My problem is a connector that goes to a "sender" on the starboard side of the block (in one of the drain plug holes). Clean the connection, a little electrical grease and it goes away. FWIW, I run premium all the time. Otherwise it falls on its face out of the hole.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Checked the codes using the paper clip method (very easy once you try it) Code # 44, pretty sure its the knock sensor.

Cleaned the sensor but noticed its screwed in using Teflon Tape on the threads. I read this shouldn't be done and will screw op it's operation.

Plan to put in a new sensor just to be safe, only $30. If thread damage is an issue, hence the plumbers tape, does anyone recommend using pipe thread sealant?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBushing View Post
Checked the codes using the paper clip method (very easy once you try it) Code # 44, pretty sure its the knock sensor.

Cleaned the sensor but noticed its screwed in using Teflon Tape on the threads. I read this shouldn't be done and will screw op it's operation.

Plan to put in a new sensor just to be safe, only $30. If thread damage is an issue, hence the plumbers tape, does anyone recommend using pipe thread sealant?
The sensor requires grounding to the block to work. Sealant or tape can work as long as you verify continuity with a meter. Better to skip tape or sealer if you can though.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX with every option
Is there a thread explaining how to perform the "Paper Clip" method? Searched but did not find anything specific. And will it work on MEFI-5?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Paper Clip Method - Google it, there's a good write up w/pictures on here but I don't know if it will work on your boat, mines a '99. Someone on here will know though.

Ordered a new knock sensor p/n 213-96 on ebay $30.89 free shipping