Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
VelvetDrive help

Hey All,

I attempted to change the trans. fluid over the weekend which had become a rather unpleasant shade of brown…not too milky (yet) but not clean either. My transmission may never have been flushed, I say this because of the sludge the changing tube had on the end of it when I pulled it out. Is there a “tried and true” method for flushing? I also believe the cooler is leaking as there may be some water contaminating the trans. fluid. I’m guessing the answer is to fit a new trans. cooler. This doesn’t appear to be a big deal, any advice? The transmission is a VelvetDrive coupled to a 454.

Wes
Old 08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
MC Master Poster

You can take the oil cooler to a radiator shop for pressure testing and/or repair. They can do it cheap and it's just like doing a radiator. If the oil wasn't cloudy, it didn't have water in it. If you used suction to get the old oil out, I would fill it up, run it for awhile and change it again. It's hard to get all of it out, but if you get it out right after running it, most of the particles will still be in suspension when they come out.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Thanks JimN,

I'll change it a couple more times and run to see what I've got, I assume I won't do any horrible damage if there is a bit of water just in the amount of time it takes to change and run a couple of times....

I saw coolers on skiDIM for around $100 so even if that's the end result, it's not too bad...I've never actually changed one out, but it doesn't look any more difficult than loosening a couple of hoses and dismounting the cooler from a bracket...

Wes