Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-30-2006, 08:59 PM
413rider

Exclamation ethanol in the fuel

Its time to winterize the X-30 2002 (LTR 330). I have heard that with the ethanol in the fuel the ethanol attracts water ( all fuel in my location contains 10% ethanol) , so once this happens phase sepperation begins to occur with the fuel. Then the ethanol reacts with the water and begins to gum up. So is this going to cause any problems come spring when the MC comes out of hibernation? Previous years I always added stabil to the fuel topped off the tank and started the engine to circulate the treated fuel, never had any problems. There is no water seperator to my understanding. So if any one has some info on this topic I appreciate it thanks alot!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413rider
Its time to winterize the X-30 2002 (LTR 330). I have heard that with the ethanol in the fuel the ethanol attracts water ( all fuel in my location contains 10% ethanol) , so once this happens phase sepperation begins to occur with the fuel. Then the ethanol reacts with the water and begins to gum up. So is this going to cause any problems come spring when the MC comes out of hibernation? Previous years I always added stabil to the fuel topped off the tank and started the engine to circulate the treated fuel, never had any problems. There is no water seperator to my understanding. So if any one has some info on this topic I appreciate it thanks alot!
Although ethanol does attract water, when added to gasoline it will hold a huge amount of water in suspension. Phase separation actually will occur MUCH earlier with straight gasoline. The problem is that, although 10% ethanol gasoline will hold more water without phase separation, the alcohol is actually attracting more water.

About the only place water can come into your tank from is condensation. If you store the boat with the tank full, that issue will be minimized, and even if you DID get some phase separation, it would likely be such a negligible amount of water that your engine would just make a barely noticable hiccup.

Phase separation in 10% ethanol gasoline is actually pretty uncommon, even in winter vehicles using that fuel, like snowmobiles. Many snowmobilers will ADD a little bottle of isopropyl alcohol in powdery conditions to help keep fuel tank water in susension and prevent gas line freeze-up.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
The guy at West Marine sold me this to put in my gas tank to prevent what you described.....

not sure if it's needed but $8 to help prvent a MAJOR headache seemed worth a try....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0
Old 10-09-2006, 08:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
OOO miracle juice!

Big mac is right on, fuel line antifreeze is isopropyl alcohol, which has similar properties to ethanol in this application.

Keep that tank full, store in an area that reduces temperature oscillation and you'll be fine.

Lots of fuels nation wide are now 10% ethanol, more in Iowa where we have midgrade 10 Cents cheaper a gallon due to increased ethanol (no i don't run it in the boat)
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle78
The guy at West Marine sold me this to put in my gas tank to prevent what you described.....

not sure if it's needed but $8 to help prvent a MAJOR headache seemed worth a try....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

I tend to be skeptical of fuel and oil additives, so looking at the claims made for that stuff on WM's web site, I'm inclined to think it's crap. Anything that has the word "enzyme" in it represents a marketing concept that PT Barnum would be proud of. I'm sure Andy Granatelli is rolling over in his grave that he didn't think of using the word "enzyme" in huckstering STP.

*Ahem*...having said that, I think that stabilizers like Sea Foam or Sta-Bil have some usefulness in preventing oxidation of fuel that's going to sit for more than 3 months, although I confess that I am vaguely suspicious that they are more marketing than usefulness.