Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 12-03-2004, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
rusty bunk rails

I just bought a '91 PS190, and the bunk rails on the trailer are pretty rusty. I'm wondering if it something worth trying to get fixed, or if I am better off investing in a new trailer. Also, if investing in a new trailer is the answer, does anybody have any suggestions on what to get and what kind of prices I should be expecting to pay?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:58 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
A new or new-to-you trailer can run anywhere from $500 to $1,500 from what I've seen.

If you're talking about the angle irons to which the bunks attach, I may have some good news for you. Mine were rusted, it appeared, pretty badly earlier this year. When I removed the bunks and took the grinder to them, it turned out to not be as bad as it looked. Once ground to the metal, there was plenty left to work with, but I had some additional supports added (so that it looks like a "T" instead of an L. But my guess is that if you grind them down, then reprime and paint, you'll probably be alright.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Or you can sandblast them and remove less material. Also gives the primer more to grab onto.