Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Winterizing a Predator 310 horse with heater.

Well, let me try this again.

I have a 2005 197 with a 310 horse Predator. A total of how many plugs and hoses do I have to disconnect to drain the engine ? And could you tell me where the plugs are located ? What kind of antifreeze should I use ? I was told not to use the pink.

My boat has a heater. What procedure should I follow to get the water out ?

I did look at the owner user guide but I feel that it just go through it in general.

Thank you so much in advance for your info.

boatless.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-9
Many may disagree with me - but why risk doing it incorrectly and cracking the block? I winterized my boat myself one year - and had many sleepless winter nights worrying I had done it incorrectly (it was fine come spring).

I prefer to pay the $100 or whatever it is - then the marina takes on the liability. Just my .02....
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltok
Many may disagree with me - but why risk doing it incorrectly and cracking the block? I winterized my boat myself one year - and had many sleepless winter nights worrying I had done it incorrectly (it was fine come spring).

I prefer to pay the $100 or whatever it is - then the marina takes on the liability. Just my .02....
It's not that hard to get all the water out of your motor. Now the heater core and the ballasts, I don't know, but it's simple to pull a few plugs and hoses each time you come in and there's no reasons for sleepless nights. If he's really worried, he should just get one of those electric engine compartment heaters as well and drop it in there on cold nights.

To the original poster, do you have your owner's manual? The plugs should be detailed there. If not, your dealer should be able to tell you which to pull.

Last edited by Archimedes; 09-14-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
There is a plug on either side of the block. There are two more plugs, one each on the rear of the exhaust manifold riser (they may be connected by a quick release hose that swoops down over the transmission.

Some pictures here.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 205, 1998
The best way to make sure that all of the water is out of the core is to remove both of the hoses at the engine and blow it out (I wouldn't use a compressor so's to not damage the core). After that, you can pour some RV antifreeze into one hose until it comes out of the other one if you want for insurance.

I installed some brass valves in my heater lines to be able to do this without disconnecting the hoses. That lets us ski later into the season without fear of a popped core.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Archimedes,

Yes, I did look through the manual. But it has lack of pictures and the info are more in general than detail. Maybe you are right, I should ask the people at the dealer but that is where I might think they would not tell you all the stuff you need to know. Cause that would take all their business away. Just a thought.

wiltok,
I have to agree with you their. But I like to work on the toy I have, just to know more about it. I don't think it is hard, just want to hear from those that have done it before.

boatless.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

east tx skier,

I hate to say it, but came to my rescue again. Many thanks.

boatless.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well,
I was told to run the RV antifreeze through the motor and then drain the engine block. The information I got is from the dealer.

boatless.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltok

Dude if your dealer only charges $100 I am taking mine up that way!! Local dealer wanted $275 last year to winterize my PS190!!!

For $100 I'd have it done, my time is worth that for an hours work. More than that and I can do it myself. It's not hard and really shouldn't take more than an hour.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Can some one tell me where do I get the Anti corrosion compound, such as PENZOIL MARINE Z-M. I stop by Napa and Walmart, none seem to have it. That is what my owner mannual telling me to use when cleaning the outside of the engine.

boatless.