Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-02-2004, 10:43 AM
mricard

Accessory Switch Access/'98 Prostar 190

My '98 Prostar 190's running/navigation light (front only) quit working. I've traced the problem to a likely bad switch. Anyone have any advice on gaining access to this switch? The switches are mounted to a trim panel. I was able to remove the wing nuts on the right hand side of the trim panel through the cup holder hole. I cannot for the life of me see how to get at the left hand side wing nuts. My dealer suggested gaining access through the right hand speedo hole, no dice!

Last edited by mricard; 11-14-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
mricard

Switch Access

Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT1
Send a message via AIM to dhcomp
I have that same boat. Make SURE its a bad switch (check wires in bow at light) before you try and replace it, cause its a pain in the A$$

You can remove those trim panels by undoing the wing nuts or whatever retainers are on that panel from behind. You stick your hand up through the fiberglass holes in the back/bottom of the dash area. You basically have to get on your back and put your head down on teh drivers foot rest. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2004, 09:48 AM
mricard

Hey, thanks for the post DHCOMP. I turned the repair of this switch into a winterization project. Looks like it might turn into a spring cleaning project now!

One things for sure, this panel isn't going back in the way it's coming out. I'm going to fabricate some clips in order to eliminate the wing nuts on the left side of the panel, there just is no way to get at them with my big meat hooks.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 PM
_JR

any luck finding replacement switches? I have a bad one in my 94 Prostar and am trying to find a "like" replacement...
Old 12-01-2004, 08:32 PM
_JR

Nevermind, my local MC dealer had the rocker switches in stock!