Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X-2
Percy Priest Lake (Nashville, TN)

I don't tend to see many MasterCraft boats out on the lake. Anyone else call Percy Priest their home?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Null,

I have not taken mine out there and will likely try to avoid it, I have heard numerous times how dangerously low it can be in areas. I simply do not have enough knowledge of the area to be comfortable on it.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Not great for serious skiing. Party cove has good people watching. Very few MC enthusiasts. I live in Nashville and have only been on it about 5 times.

Of course pickwick, where I go (I'm from there), is pretty crowded...but it's big, has more options and I'm familiar with the quiet spots.

+1 on the low water/sketchy familiarity of PP.

Old Hickory is loggy BTW.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
Old Hickory is loggy BTW.
+1
Friends family ripped out the entire lower unit on their big I/O and damn near sank the boat on a hidden stump.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
I have a friend that has a houseboat at Four Corners marina and also has a 2007 MC PWT. Sweet boat but rarely carries it there.

I've never actually been on the lake even though it's the closest one to me. I've heard so many stories of people destroying the lower units and props on the stumps and hidden rocks and etc.. It's always been too scary for me. I do go to my buddies houseboat once or twice a year and just hang out with him at the Marina though. It seems nice.

I keep mine on Center-Hill. There are lots of MC's there.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
I've been on it a couple of times with a friend of ours who also has an X2... maybe he'll chime in.

It seems to be marked pretty well, and as long as you pay attention, I don't think you will do any damage.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 - Current. 2001 Mastercraft ProStar 209 *SOLD*
I am the friend with the 06 X2 and we do 90% of our boating on Percy Priest. The lake is marked pretty well and we just stick to the safe areas. Party Cove is great for people watching and we will go up there, but most of our time is spent skiing, wake boarding and surfing on the south end of the lake. I see very few Mastercrafts on PP.

We go because of the convenience factor. I'd rather spend my time on the water than trailering to Center Hill or Tims Ford. With that said, we go to those lakes a few times a year. We also make sure to get to Dale Hollow at least one a year.

If PP is the most convenient, I say just get out there. Pay attention to where you are and the buoys. Once you learn the lake, you won't have problems. We were extremely cautious the first year but now we don't even worry about it.

Would love to meet up sometime, how long have you had the boat? Where do you put in on PP?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Yep, 10 years ago I bent a prop/shaft/strut on my old Malibu inboard on a rock down on PP. That cost a little over a grand to repair. I had been going there all summer that year, but hit a rock idling but in gear. I was about 25' feet from shore right in the boat ramp area on the South end. I was right about even with the end of the dock but about maybe a boat length or two farther to the side than I normally would go. Well 25' from shore or not...I snagged a dang rock.

I've also been out on PP and seen folks that hit things way out away from shore. One time I saw a guy that was in a channel that was maybe 200' feet wide or so and he's out wading around his boat in maybe 2-3' of water wondering what he just ran his boat up onto...

Anyway, be careful there. I do like the ski cove there as it has a nice course with bouys, but I'm not sure if that is still kept up. I do remember one day skiing that course and I had fallen and was waiting to get pulled up down near the end of the course. I remember I could tap the back tips of my skis on rocks without too much effort, though I never hit a rock with the boat down in that area.

That said, just last fall I bought my first Mastercraft (and old '91 PS190) and decided to make Center Hill my boating home spot. I'm also storing it out there too even though I live in downtown Nashville. Center Hill is so much nicer and consistently much deeper. Even though the drive there is more time consuming, the storage space rental is cheaper so that helps. It seems most of the boat storage places near downtown are on flood plane and I don't care to ever have my boat floating around inside the building!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccr10star View Post
I am the friend with the 06 X2 and we do 90% of our boating on Percy Priest. The lake is marked pretty well and we just stick to the safe areas. Party Cove is great for people watching and we will go up there, but most of our time is spent skiing, wake boarding and surfing on the south end of the lake. I see very few Mastercrafts on PP.

We go because of the convenience factor. I'd rather spend my time on the water than trailering to Center Hill or Tims Ford. With that said, we go to those lakes a few times a year. We also make sure to get to Dale Hollow at least one a year.

If PP is the most convenient, I say just get out there. Pay attention to where you are and the buoys. Once you learn the lake, you won't have problems. We were extremely cautious the first year but now we don't even worry about it.

Would love to meet up sometime, how long have you had the boat? Where do you put in on PP?
I started boating PP on the south end about half way through the season last year. I have a slip at Four Corners and so far love it. Had a friend who is a field biologist with the TWRA take me around and show me the spots to be wary off. Still nervous at times though.

I'd love to meet up, when do you think you will start heading out this season? I am hoping to get my boat out of storage end of April.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback! Can't wait for summer to arrive, can't believe it was snowing today!