Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-21-2004, 10:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Looking at....

a 2003 Moomba Mobius.

Has anyone ever skied behind one of these boats? I am looking at buying an 03 mobius, and was wondering if there was good acceleration with this boat. I have skied MC and SN and am just wondering how the pull/acceleration will compare?

I want to know, do you drag through the water, or do you "pop" right up. I believe it has the 310 efi engine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
with 310hp, it will surely pop you right up. I mean, they use the same block as everyone. They probably use the same tranny, with the same gearing. The only real known issues with the Moombas is quaility, and it's all relative in my opinion. Relative to what else is out there, and relative to your pocketbook.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:48 PM
MC Master Poster

H2O,

What kind of quality issues are we talking about? More info please?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
I don't know of anything specific on the mobius you are looking at, but the outback has had some structural problems. For instance over time the 2 halves of the windsheild don't line up anymore, and you can't close the walkthrough. they use a lesser quality vinyl, and compared side to side with a MC, 'bu or CC, the quality just isn't there. BUT you are paying MUCH less for it. You have to weigh that in. If I were buying a brand new boat, lets just say it wouldn't be a Moomba......I'm not saying what it would be though.......

and take in to consideration. I've done a LOT of shopping over the last four years. BUT, my current boat is not only my first comp boat, but my first boat all together.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than a MID 80's MC....
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
I don't remember where I heard it but someone refered to Moombas as a 50/50 boat

50 percent of the craftsmanship and 50 percent of the resale value of a MC

bottom line, take it out drive, go over it with a fine tooth comb, if the boat has been well maintained it will show, go into the deal knowing what the estimated value of the boat is and factor in your market and how much you're willing to pay.

Don't settle for a bad boat/deal, you're the one who has to pay for it and regardless of what brand you get it will be better than a Bayliner or VIP.

T
Old 11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Leroy

I would go to the Malibu message board and see what the people are saying there. I've looked in the past and many problems are the same, but you will find many boat specific issues discussed and see if they scare you or not.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM
TT Regular

Even though Moomba may not have the high quality of a MC, personally, I admire a company that tries to keep the sport affordable for the comman man. Not everyone has the cash to go spend $40-$50k on a new boat. $20k for a new Moomba fits into a lot more people's budget.

I called my dealer a few weeks ago and talked about replacing my 1987 PS190. Just for kicks, i asked how much an 05' PS190 with every available option (I know not many people get all options) would cost me...$85k!!! Lets see...i could buy one MC or 4 Moombas...hmm
Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
MC Master Poster

it seems to be in good condition, only 61 hours. I would obviously have to test drive it first.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
I agree that Moomba makes an affordable boat and I for one would never turn down a day on the lake in a Moomba given the opportunity.

85 grand is alot of money, that has to be MSRP. I'd be interested in hearing what the "off the lot" price would be, I would venture to say that buying a boat the dealer has versus ordering one factory direct would get the most bang for the buck.

I'd love to get a brand new 197 but unless my lottery numbers come I'll probably buy used.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Leroy- why the Malibu site? I went to the Skier's Choice site early this year and they were talking about the good and bad things there, too. Not very much happening on that site at all. At least not when I was there. It may have picked up since then, but I haven't been back.