Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-21-2004, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
93 205 Vibration and Noise

Just dropped my recently purchased boat in the lake and I have a vibration at different rpm's. The vibration isn't horrible but it is definitely there. I replaced the strut bearings immediately after purchasing the boat. The existing forward bearing worked its way 'up' the strut. So I know my bearings are new and good. When I put it all together the prop, prop shaft, coupler and alighnment all looked good by eye. The prop shaft goes through the hull in the lower 1/2 of the hole but is not hitting the edge. After deceleration and putting the transmission in nuetral I get a rrr...rrr...rrr sound every time the prop shaft turns around once. When the prop stops turning the noise stops. I took the boat up to WOT once and it sounded like machine gun. Suggestions ? Thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 02:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Was the vibration there bfore you change your strut bearings?
The coupler tolerance is .003 .i doubt that you would see it by eye.
Is your prop in good shape?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Unless something is bent badly, you won't see it by eye. If the shaft has more than .005" total deflection(actually, it's gyration), it needs to be straightened or replaced. With bent shafts, rudders and props, a little goes a long way when it comes to making weird noises. You could have one blade with just a small bend and it'ss make all kinds of vibration. You'll need to use a dial indicator to check the shaft. The prop should be checked out fully, too.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

I don't know if the vibration was there before I replaced the strut bearings because I never ran the boat before I bought it. I just took the boat home ( I live far from water ) and started working on it. When I put the prop shaft back in I guaged it at .005 and bolted it up. Maybe the engine shifted on me when I started it up. The prop looks good..no nicks, no evidence of damage or repair.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

okay JimN that is what I' gonna do. The boat comes back apart and I will be looking for somebody to check out the prop and shaft. machine shop maybe?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:04 PM
MC Master Poster

That's the kind of place I would take it. If you have a dial indicator (or can borrow one), you can check the tolerances, but machinists tend to be very picky about things like this, so call some and see if they work on boat parts. They may even check the shaft while it's still in the boat.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 92, Prostar
Make sure that you measure the alignment at the flange at the transmission. The boat needs to be in the water. flange bolts undone and using feeler gages at 45 degrees check the gap. There are some online instructions on this but I cannot recall what it is. Good Luck.

Thom
Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

If anybody can refer me to a site that has instructions I sure would like to read them.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
rasmithaz, if you can't find a place locally that'll do this for you, BriEOD had a place in NC that he said did very good shaft work.

If it turns out not to be your shaft, my brother-in-law had a vibration issue (only at certain RPMs) that turned out to be the wax shaft packing. Very easy/cheap fix.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205
I have a copy of the propshaft alignment instructions, but unable to upload it due to the size of the file. Email me at weslowenberg@shaw.ca and I will forward it to you. It worked great for me.