Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 20'
More line and Handle questions...need help

I have been using a $20 Walmart ski rope/handle for wakeboarding and would like to make the switch to a real line now that I am getting a little better.

I'd like to get something pretty high end. However, I have absolutely no idea what to get. I don't even know how long it should be. I have been tying loops in my current ski rope to get the line shorter so that I am in a better part of the wake. I see that some lines have "multiple 5 foot sections." What does that mean? Can you somehow remove a section and change the length of the line? I see that nice handles and lines are sold separately. How does the handle attach to the line? I have seen pictures of what look like clip together devices sometimes? Are there any that are better than others?

Any advice on what all this stuff means and what I should do would be appreciated. I think its time to retire my $20 Walmart ski rope.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Ok, you are shopping for a "wake line" wake lines come in different materials but most all are thin low stretch with light weight handles.

The "sections" are prespliced loops at different lengths so that when you connect the loop to your pylon/tower the line is shorter than if you used the end loop.

Handles attach to lines by sending the handle section through the line, then passing the loop over the handle and allowing it to cinch down over the line again. Very simple, the clips are to keep the loops from closing down to an unremovable knot.

Nice handles and lines are available separate, and that is because there is wear and tear on both, might as well only buy what you need.

Good line should be around 50-100' of length adjustment. Beginners ride shorter lines to clear the wake, as you advance you'll want to learn to use the longer line as your cut can be longer, and you'll get the height and distance to clear the wakes on the long line.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Since 88PS190 pretty much answered all your questions, I'm going to throw out suggestions. Get a 'no stretch' line. Get a line and handle that floats...floating handle at minimum.

Accurate seems to make some good stuff. We have an Accurate A-line. It is ~80' in length INCLUDING the handle (most handles add 5'). It is coated in a red metal-flake material. Unfortunately, we found the the metal flake makes the rope sink (the black or white non-metal flake seem to float fine). The jury is still out (for us) on the coated line, but it is holding up well.

A handle is more difficult to reccomend b/c it becomes personal preference. There are different handle sizes, grips, materials, etc... The best thing I can offer is to go to a pro shop to see what you like. FWIW...we bought an '06 Hyperlite Murray that needs to be warrantied out (grip tearing at the seam). Until then, we've replaced it with an '05 Accurate Murray. We like the replacement handle grip better, so it will be our primary.

There really is no need to tie knots in your line to shorten it. On another site (www.wakeboarder.com), I put a pictoral up on how to do it. Unfortunately, there site is down right now or I would find the thread and link it.

One other thing we like to do...buy clearance or out-going items...saving a little $$ here and there.

Let us know if you need some decent sites to go to.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I've had good luck and great prices from bargainH2Osports and Omahawaterboys on ebay. Those ebay sellers tend to keep the prices down pretty well.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 20'
Thanks for answering the questions. It is very helpful. I am looking around at various websites. I think I am going to go with a hyperlite handle....probably the murray. If anyone has any other suggestions for where to get good deals online, that would be great.

Thanks again
Old 09-03-2006, 08:00 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Buy a Spectra cord on E-bay. $120 rope can be had for $75. Worth the money IMO.

I bought mine here: http://cgi.ebay.com/75-COATED-SPECTR...QQcmdZViewItem

Steve