Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Talking Prostar upholstery

Aloha, I'm new to TT but I have an 88 PS190 that i bought last year. Over all the boat is in great shape, ...just rebuilt the engine myself due to a cracked block ....whole other %$#@ story. Now its running like a new boat and i'd like to replace the upholstery. The vinyl isn't terrible but its really all thats standing in the way of this boat looking and running like new. Has anyone out there done this ...really wondering about cost vs. benefit and who to go to for best results. I'm up near the DC area. Also ...If anyone has questions about a rebuild, i learned a ton rebuilding the engine ...upgraded the intake and switched to electronic ignition among others ...runs like a scalded dog!!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome. The OEM upholstery color matched isn't available any more. Not sure if a dealer could still get the plain white for you. There's more information here, including contact information of person who can cut skins using OEM vinyl. If you're redoing the entire interior, a local shop can do great things. But if you're only diong a few pieces, the vinyl won't feel the same. Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Funny, I just took my boat (1990 PS 190) in today for an estimate to replace the upholstery and carpet. $2500 + tax + extra$ for any rotten wood that might need replacing. Includes material and labor.

I'm faced with the same dilemma as you. Not sure if it's worth it, and I'm not sure if I can trust this guy to do a good job. Is $2500 price reasonable?

You guys who have done it, what have you paid?

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozhawk
Aloha, I'm new to TT but I have an 88 PS190 that i bought last year. Over all the boat is in great shape, ...just rebuilt the engine myself due to a cracked block ....whole other %$#@ story. Now its running like a new boat and i'd like to replace the upholstery. The vinyl isn't terrible but its really all thats standing in the way of this boat looking and running like new. Has anyone out there done this ...really wondering about cost vs. benefit and who to go to for best results. I'm up near the DC area. Also ...If anyone has questions about a rebuild, i learned a ton rebuilding the engine ...upgraded the intake and switched to electronic ignition among others ...runs like a scalded dog!!

PM TT member atlfooter, he has the contact info for a guy in Maryville, TN who does MC boat upholstery, that once worked for MC. He may be able to make the skins for you to then have installed locally.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:04 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks guys, this TT site is awesome, you guys are the poop! $2500 is a little steep but my carpet is good too, maybe i can find it for a little less. I'll give the guy in Maryville a call too and post the results.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
PM TT member atlfooter, he has the contact info for a guy in Maryville, TN who does MC boat upholstery, that once worked for MC. He may be able to make the skins for you to then have installed locally.
The contact info for that guy is linked above.

$2,500, assuming they replace the carpet, might not be as bad as it sounds if vinyl is included. So you have wooden seat bases?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

thanks east tx, not sure but i assume they are wood, might be a good idea to change to teflon or some sort of plastic. I found some stuff once that was kinda like white plastic cutting board material ...comes in 4'x8' sheets.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:20 AM
MC Addict

Well, according to Tom Wortham on an earlier thread in this forum:

"Carpet, New Rear View mirror, old skins off and new skins on cost me $760. So out the door everying done turn key.... $1,500."

Looks like he got a great deal. I guess I was hoping for something similar in the ballpark. I'm going to try to get 1 or 2 other estimates.

I don't have wood seat bases, but I think there is some behind the side panels(?)

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
TT Newbie

If you just get the skins, should be pretty easy to install right, ...staple gun and some basic hand tools? never really messed with any upholstery work before.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
MC Addict

I wouldn't trust myself to get everything lined up and installed right (plus, personally, I don't have the time or the patience to do a good job).

Pwillcuts said he paid $3500 for a complete refurbish job (see http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...?t=9040&page=4) , so maybe $2500 isn't so bad after all...

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190