Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 Stars and Stripes, 351W PCM
Teleflex vs Uflex - helm and steering cable kits

The original helm on my '86 Prostar 190 gave out last weekend rendering the boat un-steerable. Guiding her home with the wakeboard as my rudor was comical to onlookers, I'm sure. The steering had become extremely stiff over the past 3 years and I've been meaning to do something about it. Now I have no choice. Anyhow, I've found Teleflex and Uflex to be 2 reccomended names out there. Can anyone offer suggestions? Is one widely known to be better than the other? I think the Teleflex offers a No-Feedback technology that is not offered by Uflex, but then I'm not sure if the No-Feedback technology is even for inboard boats (it may just be for outboard drives) but then again, I thought all outboards use rack and pinion steering and the No Feedback I saw was for a rotary system. Clearly I only know enough on this topic to be dangerous, so please, someone shed some light for me.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I believe we solely use Teleflex steering cables. Your local MasterCraft dealer might have them instock, or can order one for you. We stock them in a few different lengths at Chicago MasterCraft. Let me know if I can help you out further.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
TT Regular

well, i've learned more on my own threw hours of online research, but I'm still not ready to comit to Uflex or Teleflex. Skidim is pushing the Uflex system, arguing the planetary gear design in the helm is superior. The Teleflex argument is, well, that Teleflex is OEM now adays, and they've been doing it for a long time. I've learned that both systems offer an upgrade providing anti-feedback. The price for either is about the same. ok boys and girls......any help out there? I greatly appreciate any opinions.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:47 AM
TT Regular

ok. after much research I believe I have made a decision. I am going with the Uflex Rotech System. It does not have the Non-reversible Mechanism that the Accura system has, but I have been told that the Accura system is for larger boats. I chose the Uflex Helm over the Teleflex because of the 6 point, planetary gear disign. As long as the construction is solid, I beleive the design to be far superior.

I've added this final post in the hopes that this thread will live on and help someone like me researching a new helm for their Manual Steering MC Classic!!!

......if I think of it, I'll post after the install and test drive to let everyone know how she handles.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
TT Regular

Well, it's been 3 years now, and I'm still super happy with the Uflex Rotech Stearing System I installed. It steers like butter. Couldn't be happier. Hope this helps!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
It will sure help me because I think I am only one more trip away from steering back to the launch with a wakeboard too. I have done a lot of looking, and haven't been too convinced which way to go. I guess I am now.

In fact, if I don't have the project done before I hit the water in spring, I will make sure to have a wakeboard along just for that purpose.

Thanks

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
TT Regular

I should mention one thing: yes, the quality of the helm and cable are top notch. Like I said, nothing but happy. The one grip I can bring up is this: the black disc that covers the post that the steering wheel attaches too, didn't sit flush against my dash when I first installed it. With a little customizing, and ingenuity, I got it looking good. This in no way affects the performance. It is 100% cosmetic. But I'm sure you're like me, and everything on your boat has to be perfect!

Glad the updated helped ya!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Well, just one more thing to look at before I actually buy. Thanks much for the info.

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
I am about to purchase the UFLEX system this week as the steering has just about gone out. The folks at Skidim are telling me that the UFLEX system is the way to go. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Looking forward to hear and hopefully see how the installation goes. Good luck with the project.