Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Transom tie downs

Maybe someone can help me with this?Why did mastercraft put the transom lifting bolts right above the swim platform on the older boats?This makes it impossable to use tie downs without wrapping the straps around the platform.Thats alot of stress on the brackets that I don't think they were designed to handle. Other boats that I've owned had a clear shot.I know most people with older MC just don't stap them down. I'm thinking about building a new platform,just to allow clearance for the tie downs.Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Those are actually lifting eyes. That said, I feel your pain.

I use a long strap over the top of the boat (it passes just behind the motorbox and attaches to the two rings on the trailer. I use socks over the strap where it contacts the hull to prevent it from rubbing. The boat does not move on the trailer with this setup and you won't have to mod your platform. You can see it in this picture (it's the red strap).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Tournament Team Prostar 197
If your platform is slotted like Doug's, you can run the straps through the slots.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:18 PM
MC Hero

Of course, if you hit a pretty good bump, that could put some undue stress on your platform, brackets, hull, or all of the above.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Could you notch out the platform near the stern???
Old 11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
What are you tying the boat down to? I have an 87Prostar and use the approach described by eastTxSkier using the tie down rings on the side of the trailer (well actually I don't trailer my boat anymore so don't use anything). There isn't anything on my trailer that I could even use to tie down between the lift rings and the trailer.

I was kind of assuming everyone used the strap over the back. Is that not the case?

Lance
Old 11-18-2004, 05:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I tie mine down using the 2 transom eyes. 96 PS 190. The hooks fit thru between the hull and platform fine, but I pull the hooks up from underneath, so the ratchet is down close to the trlr frame, away from the fiberglass. The straps rest on the transom, but when tight they don't move around at all, no scuffs on the 'glass.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:19 PM
MC Hero

My trailer doesn't have anything on the back to which I could attach a tie-down.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
When I do tow, I use the strap like Doug does.

It seem to me that most people in my area don't bother with a transom tie down, just the bow.

I have seen a site like this a time or two, I sure don't want it happening to me.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
My trailer doesn't have anything on the back to which I could attach a tie-down.
I have this same trailer. There are holes underneath the rail just outside of the brake light, towards the outside corner. The angle of the strap is such that they angle out & don't put that much stress on the swimstep brackets. Wish I could say none, but there is some stress. Since it's sheer stress, I don't think it amounts to much though. I don't strap them down that tight, just snug.