Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Oxidation Spots on Tower Speakers

I need a little help please. I purchased a set of tower speakers and the cans have some white oxidation spots on them. I have wet sanded them with 600 paper and followed up with Eagle1 Mag & Aluminum polish. That removed most of the spots but I have a few tough ones I'm still working on. Any suggestions??
Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Ric, are they raw aluminum or painted? If raw aluminum, just sand the spots good with 2000 micro fine wet/dry, polish, apply a coat of wax then some Rain-X. Could be, any brackish water and some salt air in the Jax area may accelerate the tarnishing and make it hard to remove.
I finally bought a good grinder, grinder stand and mounted a buffing wheel on one end that make polishing a breeze. S/S, Bronze, Aluminum, Plexiglass and Lexan is now no problem. Smaller stuff I once had someone else do I do myself.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Aluminum foil? I use it on chrome to good effect, which if you try it on a test area to make sure it won't scratch your aluminum might be a decent solution for you.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Talking Tower Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
Ric, are they raw aluminum or painted? If raw aluminum, just sand the spots good with 2000 micro fine wet/dry, polish, apply a coat of wax then some Rain-X. Could be, any brackish water and some salt air in the Jax area may accelerate the tarnishing and make it hard to remove.
I finally bought a good grinder, grinder stand and mounted a buffing wheel on one end that make polishing a breeze. S/S, Bronze, Aluminum, Plexiglass and Lexan is now no problem. Smaller stuff I once had someone else do I do myself.
They are the factory aluminum. You are correct they were on an 04 boat sitting on a lift in the St. Johns. So they were exposed to brackish water. I'll keep sanding, worked on them for about 2 hours last night.
Thanks, Harold!