Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-15-2004, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Oil Capacity???

1989 MC Tristar w/351 Indmar/Velvet Drive.

What is the crankcase oil capacity (including filter change). I changed it this weekend for the first time since buying this boat and added five qts. It shows about a qt high on the dipstick. Can the capcity really only be 4 qts??? That seems low for a marine engine. I guess the other possibility is that I didn't get all of the old oil out. I did extract it through the factory drain hose.

Also, does anyone know what thread the drain hose cap is?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:49 PM
MC Master Poster

How much did you pull out? If the trailer wasn't level, you won't get an accurate reading, either. It's possible that you didn't get it all out, for whatever reason. Did you run it after you refilled it?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 MC ProStar
I have a 1989 MC ProStar with a 351 Indmar and I can't find any documentation for what the oil capacity is, but I watch my oil level very closely and I use about 4 quarts as well, which is low compared to automovtive standards for a Ford 351, but seems to keep my oil level correct according to the calibrations on the dipstick.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I took out five plus what was in the filter. I added 5 (including a half full filter) and ran it. It read low. I added another quart. Ran it, and it read "safe."

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I took out five plus what was in the filter. I added 5 (including a half full filter) and ran it. It read low. I added another quart. Ran it, and it read "safe."
Dr. Nautica, my 90 tristar 351 did the same thing.. IF I remember right the dealer told me 4 qts was correct, which does not make sense.

Almost seemed as if there was no compensation for tilting the engine for the boat application by Indmar or MC....
Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Doug

At one time there were some mis marked dipsticks. I beleive you may have one. Five quarts total is all I have ever used. I have been told too much oil is not a good thing. Maybe Jimn can solve this one.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
How much did you pull out? If the trailer wasn't level, you won't get an accurate reading, either. It's possible that you didn't get it all out, for whatever reason. Did you run it after you refilled it?

JimN,

The boat's sitting on a lift not on the trailer and is fairly level (boat, not engine). The angle of the engine in these inboard installations is pretty steep compared with an I/O. I did run the engine after filling and it definitely shows over full. I can't get a good read on how much I took out because I pumped it into a 5 gal. container that already had oil from another of my boats.

Too much oil is definatley not a good thing. It has a tendancy to get agitated by the rotating assembly and become areated (foamy) which will cause a lack of lubrication and possibly low oil pressure.

Any more info on these potentially mismarked dipsticks? Years, engine models, etc? 4 qts just doesn't seem right.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Tgchrist

Question Glad you brought this up

I have had the same issue. '92 Prostar, 351. I check the oil with the boat in the water and showed almost full. Drained and got three quarts plus the oil filter. Put in four quarts and it is right in line. Appears to me that I should be adding five. I have checked and the right capacity for this motor is five quarts. Either I am not getting it all out or the dipstick is wrong?????
Old 11-16-2004, 11:55 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
George, was the issue with the dipstick that it read too low or too high? It won't be a big deal to pump out a quart. It's only been run on the hose with the extra oil at this point.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Why not call MC and get the original part # for the dipstick? As far as I know, the only ones with the wrong one from the factory were GM 5.7L, but if you weren't the original owner, someone else may have replaced it.