Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Rust on Exhaust Manifold (Leaking Riser Gaskets)

I winterized on Thursday. When I was changing my spark plugs, I noticed a large amount of surface rust on my exhaust manifolds. Most of it was where the riser gasket has apparently continued to leak despite my changing the riser gaskets earlier this year.

I've heard that surface rust can be more problematic when you do stuff like sand and paint over it. Should I just not worry about it and make sure that the riser gasket is sealed or should I be more proactive.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I winterized on Thursday. When I was changing my spark plugs, I noticed a large amount of surface rust on my exhaust manifolds. Most of it was where the riser gasket has apparently continued to leak despite my changing the riser gaskets earlier this year.

I've heard that surface rust can be more problematic when you do stuff like sand and paint over it. Should I just not worry about it and make sure that the riser gasket is sealed or should I be more proactive.
If it is only surface rust I would not worry about it since the manifolds are cast. From your description I believe my manifolds have had the same rust marks since the first year.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
MC Hero

I guess it's surface rust. It doesn't appear to have gone all the way through, or be leaking. It's a bit worse on the manifold arm directly beneath the riser gasket leak. I'm having a performer intake manifold put on in the spring and figured that'd be a good time to paint if need be.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:52 AM
MC Hero

Just wanted to put this back near the top. Are Diesel and I the only ones with a little rust?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
nope - mine are rusted also... Just Surface rust though, so I'm not concerned.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 AM
MC Hero

I suppose what I should be asking is when do you stop calling it surface rust?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Hmmm... mine appear to be rusted as well, just the lower part where they attach to the heads. They don't seem to leak and this motor is 20 years old (though I think it's been repainted so who knows what the old previous owners did to it). I figure why do anything since it ain't broke. I did replace the exhaust manifold gaskets two years ago when I had the motor out of the boat to replace the leaking oil pan gasket and front and rear seals on the the tranny. The manifolds came right off and looked fine on the inside and bolted back up nicely. That was a great work weekend. My buddy is a Mack truck mechanic and we used a huge forklift in his shop to lift the motor out. It was so easy the work on a motor when you could put it 6' in the air or set it almost on the ground.

Last edited by sfitzgerald351; 11-16-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
MC Hero

I need to redo those gaskets again. They're still leaking even as replaced. I'm going to replace the bolts as well because whatever's on there is a pain to get off.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
The part of my manifold that is not new has a little surface rust. I was thinking of cleaning it up with scotch bright and painting it with some high temp paint. Anyone tried this???

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 11-16-2004, 02:22 PM
MC Hero

That's been my question. I have heard it's best just to leave it alone, which appears to be, so far, the consensus.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club