Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X-10, 2003, MCX
Trailer Tires

Anyone seen this on their newer trailer tires? This is off of my '03 MC single axle trailer - boat is an X10. I trailer quite a bit, but, probably have less than 10k miles on the trailer.

Any thoughts on the cause? Overinflate, underinflate, etc?
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
That's sidewall seperation, I had happen to me as well. The tires were about 3 years old when it happened. The dealer said he thought it was caused by hitting submerged objects at the ramp.

I believe they're just a cheap tire. They can only be used on trailers not an automobile....
Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Four popular beliefs:

1. Underiflation causing excessive heat in the sidewall due to constant flexing under load. Check constantly.

2. Misalignment of multiple tire arrangements, hard to believe on a single axle trailer, but tandem for sure a potential problem

3. Were your trailer tires dynamically balanced? Don't see weights in this view. Some places will not balance a trailer tire without special request, can't figure out why.

4. Cheap tires. This is possible, but I think the upper problems are more likely.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
This type of seperation frequently comes from underinflation and dropping the trailer off the side of the roadbed while trailering, cutting corners too sharp and climbing up on curbs. It damages and breaks down the sidewall and sometimes will even break the belts under the tread. It will happen more often on the right side tire/tires closest to the ditch, which gets more abuse than the left side that is most always on the asphalt. The tire shown is a Goodyear Marathon, which according to some, is the best trailer tire on the market, yet it happens to the best.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
EXACT thing happened on our former '02 X10 S/A trailer! Something I watch for constantly now. Probably some of those hard hits on 75N and 75S b/w Dry Ridge, KY and Georgetown, KY!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincix10
Anyone seen this on their newer trailer tires?
Must'a been a Carlcrap tire, go GOODYEAR MARATHON
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfootr
Must'a been a Carlcrap tire, go GOODYEAR MARATHON
Actually, when it happened to me it was a Goodyear Marathon...as is the one in the picture above.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Hey all,
I just shared this info with cinciX10 that was passed along to me by a CC dawg. It has some good info...

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load. Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the max pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph."
Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
Thanks P-hat !

That's good info. If Goodyear issued a service bulletin, does that suggest that there have been incidents of tire damage that they attribute to "excessive" speed? What is the normal cold rated PSI for these things anyway?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Cold Rated PSI

Max Cold PSI for these tires is 65 PSI. I am not sure if there is any other recomendation in the MC manual, but I have always kept my trailer tires at or near the max rated pressure.

The one interesting thing in the photo above is the seperation is on the interior sidewall of the tire. So it did not come from hitting curbs since that would be on the outside sidewall. It could have come from drop offs at the launch though. I know of a few that have big dips at the end of the ramp, and you are forced to go up and down the bump to get the trailer deep enough to launch and load.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!