Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 MC Prostar 205
Heavy Oxidation?

Hello,
I have some oxidation on the back of a 1992 Prostar 205. The first pic shows a spot where I rubbed the gelcoat for about 20 seconds and rubbed it pretty clean. The second pic is where I removed the decals to show the difference between the oxidation and what the original gelcoat is like. Here are my questions:

Is the oxidation heavy enough to require wet sanding? I would have to wet sand the transom and about 5 feet on the sides.

Will 3M Perfect-It or Finesse-It be enough to bring this back to original color?

I would like to polish this to like new condition so any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 MC Prostar 205
Here is the second pic.....
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
That in my opinion will need to be wet sanded and then buffed and polished. Should shine like a new penny after that.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
You will definitely need to hit that with 3M Imperial compound with a 100% wool pad. Try that first before you wet sand. But I am guessing that wet sanding is in your future. Don't let the wet sanding scare you. Take your time and do it right and the sanding scratches will come out easy.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostardad View Post
Hello,
I have some oxidation on the back of a 1992 Prostar 205. The first pic shows a spot where I rubbed the gelcoat for about 20 seconds and rubbed it pretty clean. The second pic is where I removed the decals to show the difference between the oxidation and what the original gelcoat is like. Here are my questions:

Is the oxidation heavy enough to require wet sanding? I would have to wet sand the transom and about 5 feet on the sides.

Will 3M Perfect-It or Finesse-It be enough to bring this back to original color?

I would like to polish this to like new condition so any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Here is 3M's take. They say the best way to see if you can skip the sanding step is to test compound. I think they mean testing with a polisher, like say a rotary polisher and wool pad, not some hand rubbing.

3M Marine Professional Gelcoat Finishing System

According to this video, Finesse It II polish is for light oxidation only, and the other product you mention -- Perfect It -- is even less aggressive. The Imperial rubbing compound they use in this video is more aggressive than those two but, I think, less aggressive than the 3M Super Duty many on here have used and BrianM has in his process described in the first post here:

Oxidation Removal
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 Prostar205v
What kind of places would carry those 3M products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I found them all on amazon, I think other have too. Before I could purchase a sales rep from the local paint supply store came in and said he carries that. If you don't want to do amazon try commercial paint supply stores.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC205 View Post

After quite a bit of shopping online and locally, I've gotten most of my compound, polish, and wax, including 3M products, on Amazon (both directly from Amazon and from third-parties selling on Amazon). I've been getting my 3M wet/dry paper from an auto paint supply outfit that has just a few stores in my area. I think 3M has a big presence in the bodyshop and professional detailing markets, so outfits supplying those guys have their products and so do some outfits more geared to consumers. For pads, I'm using Lake Country purchased online from Autogeek (they tend to have sales in weekends), so I haven't sourced 3M pads, but I would think you could get them from the previously mentioned sources for other 3M products.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC205 View Post

Online would be the cheapest but I have seen 3M products, Finesse & Imperial Rubbing Compound at West Marine
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
I just finished my 94,I wet sanded with 1200,then perfectit then finesseit,looks like a new boat,oh and new decals from Midwest mastercraft.