Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
installing decals -- how?

Just received a new "MasterCraft" decal (well, decals since they are individual letters) for my transom. I recently lost the "R" and the "E" is coming loose.
This will be a great opportunity to really buff out and wax the gel after I've removed all the old lettering.
A question on process: Should I apply the new lettering after polishing but before waxing or . . . ? I'm thinking the adhesive might not stick as well to the waxed surface.

(And yes, I've taken measurements and photos of the current lettering so I'll know where the new ones go.)
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Apply the decals after cleaning with a good solvent. Wax afterwards.
With ST205/75R14..........$309
With ST215/75R14..........$346

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $199
Parts, labor and return shipping included

2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $32
tiresplease@gmail.com

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
I just did this if you have been following my posts. Strip the old letters with a heat gun and buff as required. I then use denatured alcohol to clean of any residue of any of the buffing compounds. Then I apply the decals. Make sure when you stick them down you squeege from one end to the other or middle out so you don't get air bubbles. Then after they are on apply the wax.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Denatured alcohol as some solvents contain oil. Or just use some good vodka!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 Limited 351 Power slot
Send a message via Yahoo to 1990lmtd
Individual letters huh? That's gonna be fun. I used the heat gun, gently heating and peeling the old decals. Then to remove the glue I used acetone to soften it and flour to ball it up and remove it. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks all for the advice.
The letters are individual but attached to a continuous backing on both sides. This keeps them all spaced evenly and lined up for installation. Once the lettering is attached to the transom then the front film is removed and voila, individual letters.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Clean And Polish Then Apply
I Like To Use The Hinge Method . Tape The Letters At One End , Add A Piece Of Tape At The Top As An Alignment Tool Only . Spray The Area With Water With Just A Couple Drops Of Soap In It . Apply And Line Up With The Tape At The Top , The Water Acts As A Temporary Lubricant So You Can Reposition , Then Squeegee The Wate Out And Pull Off The Backing . Wax Afterwards
Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Best preservation for longevity on graphics... allows waxing and wipe-downs a breeze with no worry of corners or edges coming up.

click here ==> http://www.amazon.com/3M-Edge-Sealer.../dp/B005LDH83S <==
66 Million Suckers.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:33 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
Clean And Polish Then Apply
I Like To Use The Hinge Method . Tape The Letters At One End , Add A Piece Of Tape At The Top As An Alignment Tool Only . Spray The Area With Water With Just A Couple Drops Of Soap In It . Apply And Line Up With The Tape At The Top , The Water Acts As A Temporary Lubricant So You Can Reposition , Then Squeegee The Wate Out And Pull Off The Backing . Wax Afterwards
I dunno about the water thing. These are the domed letters and have an adhesive backing. They're not like a regular flat vinyl decal where the water and squeege application process is needed.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

Here's an update . . .
Once the original lettering and adhesive residue was removed there was a slightly raised outline where each one had been. Did some wet sanding, then 3M Rubbing Compound, followed by Finesse-It II, followed by Meguiars polish.
Attached Images