Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X45 2009 LY6
Underwater Lights with Fresh Air Exhaust.

Hey guys I am getting the Fresh Air Exhaust installed on my 09 X45. Question is about underwater lights. I know a lot of people put the lights between the mufflers and I am just wondering if the FAE blocks some of the light if you put them there.

I am considering getting 4 bullet lines lines and putting 2 inside the exhaust and 2 outside, or

2 Abyss Mini Starfish and putting them outside the exhaust.

I think the cost would be about the same, which would work better guys?

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
If you are using the FAE I would go with the 2 Abyss on the outside of the exhaust. I think you would get some reflection from the 4 Bullet Lines lights from the 2 behind the FAE. Also 4 may be too much light.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
If you are using the FAE I would go with the 2 Abyss on the outside of the exhaust. I think you would get some reflection from the 4 Bullet Lines lights from the 2 behind the FAE. Also 4 may be too much light.
Knox is spot on. The FAE will block the underwater lights if they're installed in the factory position. If you want them to be effective, you'll have to install outside the exhaust.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
Also 4 may be too much light.
I don't know if there is such a thing as too much.

The stereo could always be louder and better, the cabin lights could have more and brighter, the lights could dance to the bass of the music, the underwater lights could join the dance.

I don't think any of us will ever be satisfied with enough. That's why we buy in excess and then add 10% more to add just a little more awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I don't know if there is such a thing as too much.

The stereo could always be louder and better, the cabin lights could have more and brighter, the lights could dance to the bass of the music, the underwater lights could join the dance.

I don't think any of us will ever be satisfied with enough. That's why we buy in excess and then add 10% more to add just a little more awesomeness
Exactly!! Kyle. This is why I have a boat that I have way way way more money in than its worth. But at least its ALL mine.

But thanks for bringing up this topic. I have 3 underwater lights and the FAE is on my wish list, I hadn't thought about them blocking the light.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X45 2009 LY6
Thanks for the info guys kinda what I thought might have happend but wasn't sure.

Are the mini starfish a good deal at around $370 per light, or is there a better value in that ball park?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Is Sgoyal still making these? There was a TT member last year that was making led underwater lights 9W and 27W. Way cheaper than $370 a piece. Also color plays a huge difference in the lights. White 9W are more closely alligbed with a comparable 20+- watt set. On the same note a blue light that's 27W will be about the same brightness as a 9w white. Not exactly but if your going with blue or some cooler (temp) light you may need the more powerful. But if you want white like I did. Some 9W cheaper ones might suffice.

PM me if you want me to call Sgoyal and see if he is still making them. Maybe someone can link the thread. I'm on my phone right now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Id look at the shadow caster's also, might be easier to get around the fae with those
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004
Guys I was looking to put in cheap underwater lights. Anyone have any experience with the drain plug lights? I'd prefer not to put anymore holes through the hull if I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 02:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: fdvd
If you are using the FAE I would go with the 2 Abyss on the outside of the exhaust. I think you would get some reflection from the 4 Bullet Lines lights from the 2 behind the FAE. Also 4 may be too much light. Knox is spot on.