Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 tristar 190
1989 tristar project

So this is my first mastercraft and it needs some tlc. I was doing some work for my local Mastercraft dealer when it caught my eye. The owner had just taken it in on trade and I wanted the in one door out the other deal. The previous owner had just put a new alternator starter cap And rotors plugs wires in it lucky me.the bad is I don't think anybody ever waxed this boat the JellCoat is hammered heavy sun oxidation. It is a cream and red boat looking for any tips on restoring original gelcoat what sanding buffing just buffing please help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Barefoototis; 08-06-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
That should make a good boat. We have enjoyed our Tristar for over 15 years! Post more pics as you get her fixed up.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
I tried 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax on my 89 Tristar with decent success. My gel was pretty beat also. I was able to get very good results using a crappy 7" Craftsman orbital wax spreader. I wish I had a real polisher at the time.

Now I have a PC 7424 XP polisher and each year I hit it with Collinite No. 920 Fiberglass Cleaner followed by Collinite No. 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. Below are links to what I am talking about.

http://www.autogeek.net/3m-restorer-wax-09006.html
http://www.autogeek.net/fiberglass-boat-cleaner.html
http://www.autogeek.net/boat-wax--925.html

Just hitting it with the restorer will yield a huge difference. Keep us posted on your progress. That's a nice looking project. I've had my Tristar 11 years so far and she just keeps kicking butt!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 tristar 190
I started today with the heat gun pulling old decals so I can wet sand and buff everything and i'm kind of wishing I didn't there is no way I'll be able to get to that original red where the decals were
Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
You can get close. It always looks worse when you are doing the actual sanding/buffing and looking very close. Once you're done and stand back, you won't be able to see it as well. And you will be putting new registration stickers in the same place so it will hide it even more.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoototis View Post
I started today with the heat gun pulling old decals so I can wet sand and buff everything and i'm kind of wishing I didn't there is no way I'll be able to get to that original red where the decals were
When you are done, get in touch with mikeg205 to do the registration numbers for you. He can match the MC font and make the numbers slightly larger than what is on there now so in case there is a noticeable difference, you can cover it completely.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com

Tags
gelcoat repair, maintenance, restoration, shine, tristar