Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 PM
DanC's Avatar
DanC DanC is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 839
MasterCraft Trailers

For those of you with trailers that have brake problems (like mine had) or problems towing when empty

Check out this link, http://www.ufpnet.com/
Click on the Actuators button. Look like yours?

At this link http://www.rbbi.com/folders/show/98i...isc/awards.htm I found this about UFP trailer parts.

Boating Writers International administers the Innovation Awards 1998

TRAILERS
Unique Functional Products' Disk Brakes

UFP introduces a new disk brake and surge hitch designed especially for
marine use. The hitch and brake combination eliminate chucking, that
uncomfortable back-and-forth lurching caused by the trailer braking at
different rates than the tow vehicle. This is not an automotive product
converted for marine use, but rather a system that has rust-proofed all
potential binding points, eliminated all metal-to-metal contacts in the
caliper slider and pivot pin and uses all stainless steel in the brake pad
surfaces.


How can you blame MC designers for using the "Product of the Year"?
__________________
2003 ProStar 209, 2 flags, 8 cup holders

Last edited by DanC; 08-10-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
betsy&david Harrison's Avatar
betsy&david Harrison betsy&david Harrison is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Location: Ventura, Ca
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
It looks very much like what is on my trailer. B
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Jim's Avatar
Jim Jim is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
Location: OC, So.Cal.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC
For those of you with trailers that have brake problems (like mine had) or problems towing when empty

Check out this link, http://www.ufpnet.com/
Click on the Actuators button. Look like yours?

At this link http://www.rbbi.com/folders/show/98i...isc/awards.htm I found this about UFP trailer parts.

Boating Writers International administers the Innovation Awards 1998

TRAILERS
Unique Functional Products' Disk Brakes

UFP introduces a new disk brake and surge hitch designed especially for
marine use. The hitch and brake combination eliminate chucking, that
uncomfortable back-and-forth lurching caused by the trailer braking at
different rates than the tow vehicle. This is not an automotive product
converted for marine use, but rather a system that has rust-proofed all
potential binding points, eliminated all metal-to-metal contacts in the
caliper slider and pivot pin and uses all stainless steel in the brake pad
surfaces.


How can you blame MC designers for using the "Product of the Year"?
Dan,

What type of actuator did you have when you were having problems?
Was your trailer made by Reliable?

Jim
__________________
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,126
That UFP actuator isn't what's on my 2004 MC trailer, but is what came on my buddy's 2005 Four Winns trailer. I've had occasion to pull that empty and loaded and it works very well. No hopping, no surging, no brake issues of any kind in hauling the thing all the way from New York.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Location: _______Wastebasket_________________________
Posts: 13,209
That looks exactly like the actuator that was on my '00 190 but it is not exactly like the actuator on my 05 197
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
DanC's Avatar
DanC DanC is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Dan,

What type of actuator did you have when you were having problems?
Was your trailer made by Reliable?

Jim
I haven't had any problems with my actuator. I don't know who made my 2003 MC trailer but the actuator looks just like the UFP one. I haven't had problems with the chucking or hopping.

I was referring to the many posts about the fact that ALL ~2003 MC trailers have a marginal design flaw in the calipers that cause them to start dragging after the pads wear down past half way point. MC issued a service bulletin but I guess some dealers don't get them, don't read them, or pretend not to know about them. Since the trailer is out of warranty by the time the problem appears (depends on how much far you trailer), it can take some "persuasion" to get a dealer to take care of the problem.

Apparently "a system that has rust-proofed all potential binding points, eliminated all metal-to-metal contacts in the caliper slider and pivot pin and uses all stainless steel in the brake pad surfaces." can still have a catastrophic problem if the tolerances of the caliper's cylinder bore are incorrect.

With all the bashing of the MC trailer and condemnations of "what a poor design" I just thought it worth noting. MC designers made what appeared to have been a superior design decision (as noted by the BWI) by choosing a "product of the year".

Sh*t happens, even to good designers.
__________________
2003 ProStar 209, 2 flags, 8 cup holders
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Andyg's Avatar
Andyg Andyg is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
Location: WI
Posts: 1,079
My 2003 trailer doesn't have that actuator on it. The day I looked at my boat the salesman/owner at my dealer told me the brake actuator needed to be replaced before I could take delivery. Something about some corrosion on the one that was on there.

The best part was when the dealer hooked up the brake line to the master cylinder they managed to loosen one of the brake line connections further down the trailer tongue. It ended up spraying brake fluid everywhere. And of course it had to be DOT 5 so it likes to eat paint. You can see that my trailer tongue has been corroded due to it. It is a long convoluted story as to why it isn't fixed so I won't go into that.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC
With all the bashing of the MC trailer and condemnations of "what a poor design" I just thought it worth noting. MC designers made what appeared to have been a superior design decision (as noted by the BWI) by choosing a "product of the year".

Sh*t happens, even to good designers.
IMHO, it's not the poor design - Sh*t happens. It's what you as a company do about it once that poor design is uncovered. Recalls, extended warranty, replacement of components that are reported to be constantly failing...I've seen other companies address a similar situation that way. When I complained about my trailer hopping around unloaded with a MC rep (not dealer), she addressed it by telling me, essentially, "Sh*t happens". IMHO, they own that poor design...but they're making me own it.

The concept puts me in mind of MasterCraft's in-tank fuel pump design.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Location: _______Wastebasket_________________________
Posts: 13,209
anybody wanna bet on whether there have been discussions at mc about dropping the trailer line and going to an outside manufacturer the way the other boat manufacturers do?
mc trailers are beautiful but they need far more attention from design to manufacture to q/c to warranty because these are essential to a great day at the lake for the majority of mc customers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
DanC's Avatar
DanC DanC is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
anybody wanna bet on whether there have been discussions at mc about dropping the trailer line and going to an outside manufacturer the way the other boat manufacturers do?
mc trailers are beautiful but they need far more attention from design to manufacture to q/c to warranty because these are essential to a great day at the lake for the majority of mc customers.

An outside manufacturer is not necessarily the answer. The SBT trailers under the Malibu's have had a lot more problems than my MC trailer. And my DHM wasn't too great either.

Correct Craft made their own trailers (don't know about now) and they were great.

BigMac
??? I don't see many inboard companies sending out a recall notice to their owners on their boats.
And I have seen Malibu address their (Reliable's) torsion bar failure/recall the same way. No recall or service notice, they don't say a word until it fails, then you have to complain really loud to get it taken care of.
__________________
2003 ProStar 209, 2 flags, 8 cup holders
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.