Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X7, LTR
Heater Install

I'm thinking of installing a heater and am looking for ANY information. Do you recommend a 2 or 3 port heater? Where/how is the factory installed hardware located? Which electrical switch is used? A local dealer recently told me that although the heaters have several speeds, only the low speed is worth wiring. Do the higher speeds work very well? If using a 3 port heater, is the third port routed to the windshield? Is this defog configuration worth pulling the windshield and drilling a hole in the dash? Any informaton would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:55 PM
MC Master Poster

2 or 3 depends on how many people you have in the boat and whether they will all need heat. If you get the larger one, you can set it up with only 2 outlets and cover the third at first.

Use whatever switch is available. If you don't have an unused one, you can add one somewhere. The controls usually are located under the motor box on a flat place where the hoses can be routed to without hitting the pulleys and other moving parts of the motor, or being in the way during an oil change. You'll need to decide if the defog vents are necessary. You could use a small fan for that, if you decide that you don't want to go through all of the work you mentioned.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
dealer instaled options..

I had the dealer install my heater when I bought the boat. I have an 02 ps 197, basically the same boat as you. The heater is installed behind the driver's foot well. It's the two port model with one port aimed at the driver's feet and the other, a flexable tube coming out below the observer's seat. Your dealer can get you the MC rocker switch for that OEM look. It is put in the dashboard. Just take out one of the unused ASSC. switches. I have 2 speeds, but the heater is capable of three. The third wire is cut off at the motor. Having a low and a high is very useful. I am the primary driver, but like to get my sets in early. When I get out it's nice to crank up the heat, but with the outlet right at my feet it tends to really cook.

I still have the boat in the garage. I'll take some pics if you like. Send me your email.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks to both Jims. My e-mail is: dsoby@msn.com
Old 11-11-2004, 06:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I have the 3-port heatercraft & installed it myself. I have to completely disagree with your dealer. I ONLY ever use the high speed. I use the 4-pos switch (off-low-med-high) off of my acc1 factory rocker switch. However, if I were to do it again, I'd ditch the 4-pos & only wire up to the rocker switch on High.

It's not a hard install - but you'll be working on your head (if you're lucky, that's all you'll be working on). I plumbed much of my line in 2" PVC since it was snaking around my battery box to blow out at the passenger's feet on my '95 PS 190.

Be sure you put a brass cut-off valve on your supply line so that you can use the heater as a fan when you need A/C.

Absolutely worth the $$$'s.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
I agree w/ Jimmer. I installed the 2 outlet myself on my last boat (89 Tristar), and it was pretty easy, but time consuming. I only had the boat one season after that. I'm doing my 205 this spring. I used high only and will set it up that way next time. For the passenger pullout vent, I plan to install is in the walkway to the openbow, like Malibu. Well worth the $300, No interest in the defogger. Good luck
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
I use both high and low positions, although high is most frequently used. Also make sure you have a "hot tube" (retractable hose). I've only once needed defrost, and really really needed it, but we didn't install that option Something about being out in a heavy snow storm LOL
Old 11-11-2004, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I picked up the 3 vent heater core & split 2 of them for a total of 5 vents. 2 go to the windshield, 2 snorkels & one under the driver's dash. One of the two snorkels is 6' long. Plus we have a pair of HotWrap boat blankets with the heater hole. So two people can sit in the passenger seat under a blanket with a heater snorkel & 2 more in the back seat with a blanket & heater snorkel. We usually use the heater on high.
I also installed the newer intake adapter from Heatercraft down on the raw water pump instead of the motor's water pump. Their rationale on it was that the raw water pump pumps more volume than the engine's does so it delivers heat at idle RPMs.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990, Prostar 190, 351w
Go to www.heatercraft.com they make all of the parts you will need if you want to do the install yourself. I went to the factory last spring they were very helpfull gave me a tour of the factory and everything. I got two of their "hot-tubes", it's a good idea you can pull them out and stick the vent down your wetsuit or whatever so they aren't just blowing on your feet. They are mounted underneath the observers seat and they gave me enough hose to reach all the way to the back seat. I mounted the other vent next to my sub in the wall that I built underneath the dash. They told me that they make alot of heater parts for ski boats. The "hot-tubes" I got from them were an exact replacement for the old ones. As for the speeds of the heater we only use HI up here in Washington
Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, guys. I ordered the 3 vent model with an extra hot tube and a raw water adapter. I'm planning to run one vent to the driver's kick panel and the other two under the observer's seat with the hot tubes. One last question. Where/how do you route the vent hose to the observer's side on an open bow boat like the 197?