Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 Stars and Stripes
I know you could do a Multi ports set up and even swap over to a cam trigger with coil packs running the EDIS-8 coil packs from a ford 4.6L. But doing it cheap is the question. I think the main benefit from TBI would not be the power increase but the reliability, fuel efficiency and bottom end tune ability. Your over all HP will not increase that much if any, but you have to remember when tuning its not overall HP its "area under the curve" that will give you the hole shot surfers, wake boarders, and skiers want.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Just what I was thinking. Wondered what dug up this old,moldy,dead thread. I will give an opinion on this thread subject. I would no more convert carb to FI or vice a versa on any thing I use for pleasure. Too much hassle. If you run into a problem the people that can give you knowledgeable advice could be limited. I see no way that conversion is really cheaper. Having owned and owning several different toys with FI and carbs---each has it's own drawbacks. You see examples of the FI problems on here as much if not more than the carb problems. I have better things to spend my money on-----like more toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
holy thread resurrection! In my opinion! a TBI is not worth the hassle of retrofitting on to a boat that has a GOOD 4160 carb. the tbi is really nothing more than a 2V carb that keeps a wet manifold on the other hand, a multi port fuel injection even a TPI with its long runners and torque would be a worthwhile attempt.

I cant wait to get a 205 with a LT-1
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairboater View Post
Just what I was thinking. Wondered what dug up this old,moldy,dead thread. I will give an opinion on this thread subject. I would no more convert carb to FI or vice a versa on any thing I use for pleasure. Too much hassle. If you run into a problem the people that can give you knowledgeable advice could be limited. I see no way that conversion is really cheaper. Having owned and owning several different toys with FI and carbs---each has it's own drawbacks. You see examples of the FI problems on here as much if not more than the carb problems. I have better things to spend my money on-----like more toys.
Injection is great for "turn the key and it starts" and meeting EPA emission standards. Carbs are finicky in wide changes in environment, attitude and they gum up and while they can easily meet the EPA's specs, lack of upkeep is the #1 reason they don't. Neither is completely fool-proof or fail-safe and neither works well if routine maintenance isn't performed but I would bet that if more people thought about contacting an auto mechanic when they have problems with their boats, they would find a solution a lot faster. The pre-Ilmor EFI is just a GM-based system and any decent auto mechanic should be able to fix them. Why so many boat-owners think they can fix these, I don't know. Being a member here has shown that most people have no idea how these work, no idea how to start looking for the cause of their problems and would much rather ask others with similar experience for quick answers than read a manual. If a widely used system is installed, it should be no problem to find someone who can work on it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
EPA is not anything I worry about. Lean and rich are what makes me change things. I still would not convert an existing system either way. I would never install a custom system in anything I want to be dependable. Seen this in my hot rod days. Nothing worse than having an engine not run over waiting on a part or converting the whole system because someone went out of business. I like stock off the shelf parts availability.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 Stars and Stripes
I am pretty sure GM is not going out of business anytime soon, neither is Ford! That is what this system does. It has a computer that utilizes GM and Ford OEM parts in a single system. These are parts "off the shelf" you just have to have to know what to ask for...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Injection is great for "turn the key and it starts" and meeting EPA emission standards. Carbs are finicky in wide changes in environment, attitude and they gum up and while they can easily meet the EPA's specs, lack of upkeep is the #1 reason they don't. Neither is completely fool-proof or fail-safe and neither works well if routine maintenance isn't performed but I would bet that if more people thought about contacting an auto mechanic when they have problems with their boats, they would find a solution a lot faster. The pre-Ilmor EFI is just a GM-based system and any decent auto mechanic should be able to fix them. Why so many boat-owners think they can fix these, I don't know. Being a member here has shown that most people have no idea how these work, no idea how to start looking for the cause of their problems and would much rather ask others with similar experience for quick answers than read a manual. If a widely used system is installed, it should be no problem to find someone who can work on it.
Would these be the same people that work on their own cars, or does that get sent to the shop for repairs?
I agree with what JimN is writing. A lot of people will not attempt to fix their cars but they might attempt to fix the boats...
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
I am pretty sure GM is not going out of business anytime soon, neither is Ford! That is what this system does. It has a computer that utilizes GM and Ford OEM parts in a single system. These are parts "off the shelf" you just have to have to know what to ask for...
Could have just happened with a different President in office. Just sayin'

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, maristar 210, 1991, 5,7
1991 Mastercraft maristar 210

Hello help!
I restored my 1991 mastercraft maristar 210, v-8, 5,7 engine
I want convert carb to efi system, i dont understand my engine its ford w? small or big block? carb have 4 holes...

( Dealer say ;-) If you are looking for good starting, drive and economy a TBI unit will be fine.* If you are looking for more power you would have to go with an MPFI unit.)

Whats options right for my engine?
Dealer url: http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...rine-19-1.html

options TBI?
options MPFI?

email: bendrauti@gmail.com
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Your engine is a Ford 5.8L, 351w small block engine with a marine holley 4 barrel carburetor, marinized by Indmar.

IMO a new carburator for $500 and a proper tuning will provide reliability for many years...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 01-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
If you are going to junk that carb I could use some extra parts, if it is a 4160. send me a PM if your interested.