Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 95 Maristar
Fuel Filter 95' 350 tbi

In the process of winterinzing the drivetrain I was going to change the fuel filter. However, on the inline (canister type) fuel filter, it notes that the fuel system is under pressure. How do I go about releasing this pressure before I change out the filter?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Look at the fuel line(s) near the throttle body. You should see what looks like a short tire valve with a cap on it. That's the Shrader valve and is for checking the fuel pressure. Grab a paper towel and surround the valve, then poke something in it so it's like letting the air out of a tire. If and when it stops squirting gas, you're done and can remove the filter. If it has been sitting for a while, it may not have much pressure, anyway. I usually cut the bottom off of a gallon jug to catch liquid spills and put this under wherever the liquid will fall and you can place the filter in it and remove everything at one time. Your filter is a AC GF-626, right?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 95 Maristar
Thanks for the info.

The only details I have on the filter is from the Indmar website. It lists two types of filters, both have like a six digit numeric number. Should I go with Indmar's brand or is there another that is a quality match?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Jim, any difference in procedure for the 351?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ktn_cmu
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Jim, any difference in procedure for the 351?
If your boat has a carb, you shouldn't have to release pressure before removing the filter. Do you have a block mounted fuel pump? If so, prior to removing the filter, if you have any gas in the tank, you'll want to kink off the fuel line between the filter and the tank. The tank is higher than the filter and if you remove the filter w/o kinking off the line, the gas will drain right out. After kinking off the line, just remove the fliter and replace it.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
MC Hero

Yes, it's a carb motor. If memory serves, it's a block-mounted fuel pump. I'm going on memory, but I think the pump is at the front portion of the motor on the port side. Can anyone confirm.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Doug your memory is correct. This weekend 62 water Temp, no wet suit, no wind, mid 70's air, and sun. You must have been out of town.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLewis
Thanks for the info.

The only details I have on the filter is from the Indmar website. It lists two types of filters, both have like a six digit numeric number. Should I go with Indmar's brand or is there another that is a quality match?
I've used the Napa equivelant fuel filter for several years with no issues. No reason to pay Indmar prices. It will still be like $20 or $25.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
MC Master Poster

The filter that came with the boat is an AC part, usually GF-626, for your year. The MC part number is generally the same as an Indmar, but has 81 added to the beginning. I'm not aware that Indmar has their own brand of filters. If you call the dealer and ask them for the generic part #, they should give it to you. Otherwise, go to a parts store and look at their book for the gas filter for the GM 350 TBI motor. Most of the time, if the boat has more than 1 filter, they'll put one that passes larger particles at the tank, then a finer one up front to catch the small stuff.

It should be at the front of the motor, just ahead of the motor mount. You may have a fuel/water separator as well as a filter at the tank. If you still have the instructions from your new carb, check to see if they list a filter at the fuel line input.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
MC Hero

Yup, George, out of town. Looks like I missed my last chance at a comfortable ski for a while.

Jim, I'll have to check. Pretty sure my carb instructions are long gone. Basically, I'm thinking that my metal fuel line goes from the pump to the carb. I also have a plastic tube off the carb back down. I don't see anything that looks like a screw on fuel/water separator.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club