Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 11-07-2004, 09:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Which Prop?

I know this has been hashed out many times but couldnt find exactly what I am looking for in the search results.

I have a 86 Prostar 1:1 that has a fairly massaged 351 Windsor. I guesstimate it is making about 325hp or so as is right now. It has a 4 blade prop on it now and don't know how to tell what it is in size. Only had the boat out once since the transimission fiasco and the prop is dinged. I have read that a 4 blade is not recommended for a velvet drive. Is this true?

What prop would everyone recommend for someone who will do very little wakeboarding, will pull swivel skiers, but the primary use of the boat will be for slalom skiing and barefooting. Boat now (before crappy prop) will do 48 mph, would like it to remain that top end for barefooting. Any ideas?

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:51 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Fairly Massaged?? What do you mean by that?
Standard motor is a Indmar FORD 351 240 HP 1:1
PowerSlot Tranny? Better hole shot 1.0-1.5 les MPH on the top end.

4 blade bad for a VELVET Drive? No way only makes it better.
A dinged up or bend prop is bad for a tranny.

The perfect prop for that boat is a CUTTER 4 blade stainless 13 x 12 1/2.

Will hold GREAT low speed for SWIVEL. Better hole shot for slalom,
Hold speed better at MID range RPM,s

Questions give me a call. I have them in stock and will even take
your OLD 3 blade on trade.

www.bayareawatersports.com

Jim
Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Thanks Jim!

Tryed to check out your site, is it down? I can't get on.

Massaged= worked motor/tweaked for power. It has higher compression, worked over heads, larger jets in the carb, medium cam, fairly hot ignition, it runs pretty strong.

How will the Cutter work out for slalom wakes and will this lower top end any? Are the stainless a stronger prop than the nibral? I know on my families I/O the Stainless made a huge difference over the cheap aluminum props, a lot less flex. Would it be the same comparison as the nibral?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
I'm curious to see the answers that show up here. I use my 91 ProStar with 351 for a lot of 'footing and would love to get 48 out of it. I top out at 42-43. What changes have been done to the engine to jump to 325hp?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Laurel Lake, I love that place!! Went there for my 1st timet his summer.

See mods above. I can't take credif for all the work, it was done when I bought the boat recently. However, I do have all the receipts from the work done. Estimated HP I got from a few Ford performance sites.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm not trying to stir up the great prop debate too much, but I'm quite fond of saying that my 3 blade Acme prop is some of the best money I've spent on my boat. There are several people on this board that have gone with Acme and have been very happy. I have not skied behind a boat with a cutter 4 blade stainless prop and can't offer a comparison. I've never seen someone take an old 3 blade on trade though. Pretty sweet offer!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:47 PM
TT Regular

Prop?

undefinedundefined
Just checking out the board for the first time, I have found a lot of helpful information and I will be glad to give my two cents (if I think it will help out).

I have owned a '79 MasterCraft with 1:1 transmission, a '87 MasterCraft Powerslot 1.5:1, and I now own a 95 Maristar V-drive 1.5:1 I swapped out my original 3 blade on the '79 MasterCraft for an OJ 4 blade, and I have put the OJ on every boat I have owned since then. I am not going to worry about the brand names, but there is just no comparison between the 3 blade and the 4 blade. The hole shot is quicker, it rides smoother, and there is a lot less noise in the boat. I spent a few extra bucks and put the OJ XMP 4 on my Maristar. My wife (of 16 years) has never skied, she just rides in the boat. She commented as soon as I hit the throttle how smooth it was. I got my OJ at Skiertoskier.com.
Hope to post more in the future,
Ashby
Old 11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 Pro Tournament 197-Cadillac LQ9
Prop Acme

I have a PT 197 with Powerslot 1.5:1 ratio and have a like new 4 blade Acme 14 x 20 prop that i purchased new this spring that I will not need. If you are interested drop me a note jpattigr@yahoo.ca as I would consider selling this prop.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I have to agree with AHudgins. Did the same with my 2 boats (a 77 1:1 and an 83 Slot) and did exactly as he said, and my wife commented also. 4 blade props are very smooth.
However, inthe case of an older boat w/a "massaged" motor, doing what you want to do with it I would try a 13 X 14. You have the HP (supposedly) and this will maintain your speed but drop the RPM's slightly. It will be alittle easier on the engine @ barefoot speeds. If you have the HP claimed, you'll have no problem coming out of the hole.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. What does the numbers on the prop mean? 13 x 14, is that 13" diameter by 14" forward movement for every prop rotation? Jim, I havent forgotten about you, I am planning on calling tommorrow or monday.