Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 205 prostar V
Trailer Brakes Dragging

I have a 2001 tandom axle mastercraft traier with dual disc surge brakes and they are draggin pretty bad. It looks like all 4 brakes are dragging. I pull it with a Dodge 1 ton so I cannot feel any differece will it under tow. I also don't tow it much so it felt like it always does but a little quicker in the gas gauge and notice the brake stink and brake dust all over my rims.

To get home I just spliced the reverse light/brake unlock wire to the common to disengage the brakes all together.

Is there a back off adjustment on the surge master cylinder? Or What do you think is wrong?

Thanks for your replys!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhater
I have a 2001 tandom axle mastercraft traier with dual disc surge brakes and they are draggin pretty bad. It looks like all 4 brakes are dragging. I pull it with a Dodge 1 ton so I cannot feel any differece will it under tow. I also don't tow it much so it felt like it always does but a little quicker in the gas gauge and notice the brake stink and brake dust all over my rims.

To get home I just spliced the reverse light/brake unlock wire to the common to disengage the brakes all together.

Is there a back off adjustment on the surge master cylinder? Or What do you think is wrong?

Thanks for your replys!!!
I am going to suggest you contact your local dealer, or MYMC on this site.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 230 Maristat
Had the same thing on a 2002 tandem trailer. Finally caught fire(almost). Completely replaced all 4 calipers under warranty. Sight glasses buldge under heat stress. Bad deal all around.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I just replaced all 4 calipers and pads on my 2003 trailer. They were getting so hot the pads cracked and one of them wore right down to the squeel tab.

Now it pulls great! Alot less strain on my tow vehicle (3/4 ton suburban 6.0 liter) and stops much better too. No more brake smell or dust.
I was told the company that made the calipers had a few defective ones that would not release properly.

Do yourself a favor and replace your calipers. It made a big difference for me. Also keep your tire pressure up. I run mine at 47-48 psi and it makes it tow easier.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
you are not alone

you need to replace your calipers, the whole things, not just the pads.. apparantly I am another lucky one who got bad calipers.. when you get the new ones, you will notice a world of difference, no dragging, no screeching, no excessive heat on the wheels etc
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X-10, 2003, LQ-9
Cost estimates on replacing?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnX-10
Cost estimates on replacing?
mine went out under warranty so I dont know but I guess around 80 to 100 each for the caliper assy's
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X-7 MCX
We just got word that bad calipers are the reason for our lock-up on the highway...will pick up trailer tomorrow from shop. Out of warranty...don't know the $ damage.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Dawg

I've got the 02 tandem. Just now starting to have the first problems. Got in the other day and smelled brakes. The right rear was hot. I broke down the caliper and it has been sticking for a while. The inside pad was wore down twice as much as the outside. Will be replacing.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-10, 2003, LQ-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I've got the 02 tandem. Just now starting to have the first problems. Got in the other day and smelled brakes. The right rear was hot. I broke down the caliper and it has been sticking for a while. The inside pad was wore down twice as much as the outside. Will be replacing.
I am having problems in the same location on the tandem trailer as well! Don't trailer much, so trying to get things taken care of here before I need to have it done!!! (only difference is the trailer is '03)