Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-03-2004, 03:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Banjos anyone?

I remember from the old thread that a lot of you guys are into guitars. Anyone know anything about banjos? My cousin used to be a top-notch banjo player, until he was completely paralyzed in a car accident. I've always wanted to learn to play one, and I've finally decided to do something about it. Now I'm trying to educate myself based solely on what I can find on ebay. Yeah, I know what you're thinking; I keep having these "Deliverance" flashbacks too.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The banjo is supposedly pretty difficult to master. My mother tried to learn and ultimately gave up. Unfortunately, we no longer have the banjo or I'd have tried to figure it out by now. For amazing modern banjo masters (aka banjonators), check out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Unfarkingbelievable.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
MC Master Poster

I second AND third Doug on Bela Fleck. That guy is insane. He was also in a group called Strength In Numbers, with Edgar Meyers on acoustic bass, Sam Bush on mandolin, Jerry Douglas on Dobro and Mark O'Connor on fiddle/violin, acoustic guitar and mandolin (on one tune). Incredible playing and good songwriting, too.

I'm sure either Mel Bay or Hal Leonard Publishing has a series of books on learning the banjo, or just about any other instrument, for that matter. Hal Leonard may have bought Mel Bay, but either will be a good start.

Ever seen Steve Martin play? He has a 1923 Gibson Florentine banjo that's beautiful, and he can actually play well.

If you want to take lessons and there isn't a banjo teacher near you, you can find a guitar teacher who is into finger-style. Otherwise, there are DVD's and CD's that come with some instruction books.

Here's a couple of jokes I heard from someone in Tucson who owns/owned a music store that specialized in banjos.

Q-Why should you always keep a banjo in your car?
A-So nobody will put another one in there.

Q-What's the definition of perfect pitch?
A-Tossing a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:41 PM
MC Hero

If feels good to talk about music instead of politics. Good stuff, Jim.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Knoxes

David Grisman et al have been known to pluck the 5 string.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:43 PM
MC Hero

Knoxes, you seen "Grateful Dawg." Grisman is the man!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Cool Hay!

Take a look at Rolling in the Hay! Lots of Banjo etc...

www.rollininthehay.com/

Old 11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Knoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Knoxes, you seen "Grateful Dawg." Grisman is the man!
I don't think I have. I'm not a huge fan, but I have some of his G5, and I've seen him in concert. I scored some front row seats in a really small venue a couple of years ago. The first part (mandolins) was fantastic, but they came back out and did a bunch of break-downs. It was a bit too much bluegrass for me. I like it and enjoy it, just don't love too much of it.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
MC Hero

Grateful Dawg is a documentary about David Grisman and Jerry Garcia. Just a lot of footage of them plaing at Grisman's house and some concert footage. Those two were great together. Lots of bluegrass roots. Love the stuff!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-03-2004, 07:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Grateful Dawg was filmed around the same time they were doing 'Old And In The Way', right? I have seen a little footage from that. Pretty cool. Grisman has a lot of good music out there, and it's not all one type.

I don't know how many of you are into Fusion music (John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Chich Corea, etc), but there's a site called www.abstractlogix.com and they have links, discs for sale, concert info, interviews, etc. Since Bela Fleck plays jazz, too, he's on that site as well.