Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-01-2004, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
Question Connelly F1 or HO Vengence

Shopping for a new ski and looking for some feedback from people who have skiied one or both.
My stats 6'5" 195lbs 34 mph 15 off------- Just got my boat this year and haven't skied for several years previous. The old Jobe Honeycomb is nice but its time for a real ski!
Thanks ahead for any feedback
Andy
Old 08-01-2004, 12:22 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Andy, my wife had an ASX Vengeance. Her brother has an F1. I have skied both skis. They are night and day. The F1 is a much faster ski and tends to edge hunt. Her brother loves it. I was not as fond of it. The ASX is a really good ski, and is very stable. My wife didn't like it once she rode my CDX because she decided that it wasn't fast enough for her. She really enjoyed my CDX. She now has a 2004 Truth and loves it. I've not ridden her Truth yet.

It really just depends on your skiing style/abilities. We are all 15 off skiers. I liked the ASX, but it was definitely a little slower than my CDX. I would guess that you would be on at least a 68" to 70" ski at 6'5"/195lbs.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. As to what type of skiier I am I can't say for sure. I don't get to run a course very often(meaning once every few years) AAAGGGGHHHHH New Jersey is just not the ski friendly state that FL is.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:37 PM
MC Hero

You sound pretty close to the type of skiers we all are. www.wileyski.com still has new 68" and 70" CDXs new in stock. I would recommend one of those over both the skis you've asked about. Just my $.02, but they're just that great. Fast, yet forgiving. My skiing has improved a great deal when I got off the all-carbon Mapple and got on the CDX. I would be surprised if you were disappointed with the CDX.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the .02. I'll look into the CDX and place it high on the list for consideration.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Tall Andy

The only help that I can offer, is try to find a way to ski different skis before you buy one

Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 AM
MC Hero

Mark's got it right. Unfortunately, even in many major cities, watersports dealers that carry high end skis are getting harder to come by, much less places that will let you demo them.

If you have a nearby dealer that will let you do this, by all means, go that route. That being said, between my wife and I, we've bought several skis in the last year trying to find the right one. All total, we've only lost $25 finding the right ones for us.

Buy 'em. Ride 'em. Keep 'em, or ebay 'em.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Andy,

Try Lisa at Liquid sports authority in Pennsauken. She is great to deal with. I purchased many skis and my prostar from her. Tell her that Dave sent you. 856-488-9443.