Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 07-26-2006, 09:09 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Hydrofoiling and swim platforms...

As it turns out, I end up teaching a lot of people to hydrofoil (in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...). The most convenient way is to strap them into the thing while it's sitting on the swim platform, then push them backwards off into the water, but the balance point is problematic since the foil only comes up to the edge, and BTW also chips the lower edge of the plaform. I have often thought that a slot cut in from the sides would avoid that, which would be nice for teaching, and especially for getting rigged up out of the water when the water temp is 45 degrees.

While looking at Airjunky's Traxx site, I noticed this swim platform, which looks like it has a slot cut out on the edges that would work great for a hydrofoil strut. Anybody ever see this? Anybody ever to this to their own swim platform?

Last edited by bigmac; 07-26-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-Star
You are very correct on the balance point. My son puts his on in the water, but the rest of us still use the platform. Just last weekend, I was perched precariously on the 'edge' and strapping up. After I got my foot straps on, our buddy 'Wally' came by in his Chaparral deckboat and the next thing I know I am choking down lake water....but the nose tape saved thge sinuses....

2005 Turn Bouy Orange X-Star
w/ 'Mastercraft by Design' Bling

Official Hydrofoil Junkie
Sky Ski B39 with Soft-Tail Seat
and Cinchmax Strap and Bindings
Old 07-26-2006, 10:37 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8smiles
You are very correct on the balance point. My son puts his on in the water, but the rest of us still use the platform. Just last weekend, I was perched precariously on the 'edge' and strapping up. After I got my foot straps on, our buddy 'Wally' came by in his Chaparral deckboat and the next thing I know I am choking down lake water....but the nose tape saved thge sinuses....
I put mine on in the water too, but I really like the concept of eliminating the precariousness on the swim platform. It seems like it would be a simple fix, but I don't know how much $$. Next time my boat is out of the water for any period, I'm going to have a fiberglass guy give me an idea what it would take to make such a modification to my fiberglass platform.

When I was kid learning to swim, the instructor was REALLY big on blowing bubbles through the nose every time we hit the water. I fortunately now have some kind of ingrained reflex toward that end and have never been afflicted by those sinus flushes, despite many years of high and low speed water entries on all manner of weird water activities.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-26-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have the teak platform on the X-Star....it may be worth looking into to make a cut....if the strength is not compromised

I've never had the sinus flush issue until the foil....getting better now that I am getting better, but the 3M tape saves the day...and brings me unmitigated sh*t from the teens in the boat...but hey, it's my boat right?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
What 3M tape do you use? Is it made for this?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8smiles

I've never had the sinus flush issue until the foil....getting better now that I am getting better, but the 3M tape saves the day...and brings me unmitigated sh*t from the teens in the boat...but hey, it's my boat right?
I have the solution that is likely to bring you less sh*t than surgical tape over your nose...

Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Go to Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. The surgical tape is in the pharmacy section. It is the kind of tape that they use on IVs, etc. 3M makes it. they make several kinds, but the basic works great. I take a small piece about 2 inches (depends on your nose) and tape it under my nose to cover my nostrils. Takes some getting used too, but now when the foil dumps me on my head I don't get lake flush for a couple of seconds before I float myself back up.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X-30 MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to WakeSeeky
I haven't seen this personally, but I've been told that yes, this cut-out is not uncommon for foilers. There is even another brand, Calabria IIRC, that comes standard with the cut out.

We've got the teak, which gets dinged a bit by the foil, but it's so easy to rub a bit of oil over the edges and the scratches pretty much disappear. We'll sand out a couple of bigger dings this winter, so I'm not too worried about them. We could pretty easily modify our platform, but so far have decided we don't really want to, we like the look of the teak as-is. However, the fiberglass... I think we'd already have done it, I can see where the foil would scratch that up pretty badly.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
It seems like an awkward balancing act at first but you get better at it with time.

Another option would be to use you brackets and make another deck out of treated lumber then cover it with the traxx pad. That way if you ever upgrade boats all you have to do is change out the platforms.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
It seems like an awkward balancing act at first but you get better at it with time.
That's pretty much hydrofoiling in a nutshell...