Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 11-01-2004, 12:23 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My sub-buoys are Shrinking

I used cut up swim noodles as sub-buoys and when I checked a couple of them over the weekend, they seem to have shrunk by about 50%. These things are about as unnatural a substance as I can imagine. Anyone know what might be causing this. If I lose them, I'll just locate my blocks and spring for the spongex subs from skier-to-skier.

Andre, you ever have this problem?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Sorry...Forgot to mentionned.
I usually keep them for 2 or 3 seasons,but those "Made in China" things may be of different quality.
Hoping it's not ruining your efforts to set up the course...

I was LOL when reading the topic title...Just got back from 17 days of work in Northern British Columbia.

home sweet home
Old 11-01-2004, 02:29 PM
MC Hero

I don't doubt they were made in China. I'll probably go for the spongex subs and clip them onto the loop with a new loop on the new subs. Won't be a big deal. The water's not too deep and I'm not using the subs to locat things by and large.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I use flotex styrofoam (sp?) balls for my subs currently... they're only $5.00 each (cheaper than anything other than the noodles).

I also toy'd around with using 12" pieces of cap'd 1.5" PVC pipe & zippy-tied it to the cable (I have to use cable for my subs due to the constant wear from the current). They worked well also.

Just remember, you want as little floatation in your subs as possible. The higher the floatation, the higher the chance one of your anchors will end up getting moved. A 1 Gallon jug can float an empty (not filled w/concrete) cynder-block. Our bouys I estimate are a little more than a gallon.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
MC Hero

Jimmer, I'm not too worried about my anchors moving as the bottom is so muddy that once they're set, you literally have to get down underneath them to pry them off the bottom.

The spongex subs available through skier-to-skier.com are $1.99 to $2.50 USD a pop. That's what my boat guides are and they purportedly last a long, long time.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-07-2004, 10:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
From the topic title, I thought you were complaining about your nads shrinkin' up from the cold water! Glad to see that wasn't the case.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
It came to my mind too!!!LOL
Old 11-08-2004, 10:17 AM
MC Hero

It would have been an easier problem to solve though.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club