Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Suggestions for wake handle/rope

We've been using an old Straightline rope and handle at 60'. Not sure what the rope is made of, but it's pretty small in diameter and doesn't seem to stretch. The handle is a bit narrow compared to today's 15" wide offerings. Any suggestions?

- handle needs to float
- needs to allow for 60' length (preferably without a bunch of small extensions)
- suggestions on handle material? Chamois, foam, etc?
- what's the advantage/disadvantage of the silicon coated ropes?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane330 View Post
We've been using an old Straightline rope and handle at 60'. Not sure what the rope is made of, but it's pretty small in diameter and doesn't seem to stretch. The handle is a bit narrow compared to today's 15" wide offerings. Any suggestions?

- handle needs to float
- needs to allow for 60' length (preferably without a bunch of small extensions)
- suggestions on handle material? Chamois, foam, etc?
- what's the advantage/disadvantage of the silicon coated ropes?

Thanks!
I am no expert, so I will be interested to see if anyone more knowledgeable chimes in, but I am on the market as well, and from what I can tell, dyneema is what you want. I think the silicon coating is what makes it float.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
I am no expert, so I will be interested to see if anyone more knowledgeable chimes in, but I am on the market as well, and from what I can tell, dyneema is what you want. I think the silicon coating is what makes it float.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a close-out 2017 Hyperlite Webb rope/handle for $80 shipped. It has the dyneema/silicon flat line and chamois handle. The handle is REALLY light, and the rope is super thin. Haven't tried it yet, but should work for us. I think I have what is considered the A-line this year, not sure. Shortest it goes is 65' with handle (has several extensions), which should be fine. The X-line is shorter yet (60' minimum), but for the cost, I couldn't pass this up.

Maybe you can find one on close-out like I did. I just looked where I bought mine but they are sold out.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X2 and 1985 SS (Sold - 2008 X2, 2003 197 TT, 1993 205)
I'll try to keep this thread going...

Any thoughts on the nylon coated vs. the non? Personally don't like the coated, I feel like it kinks and tangles more, yet seems to be more common.

Ropes and handles are expensive, and I seem to keep striking out...

Last year I spend a ton of time looking for an upgrade and ended up buying a Liquid Force non coated with the Hydra-Tak handle (Shane Pro?) I spent a lot of money on it and the fabric that wraps the handled stretched and got loose and sloppy, and the rope started to fray almost immediately.

Shame on me for not going to LF for a warranty, but regardless, I spent a lot of money for a rope/handle that lasted me about 5 sets before it was wearing out....

Would love recommendations... Feel like back in the day I got several uses out of combos and now I get a month?
2003 197 TT - Sold
1993 205 - Sold
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X1
I've tried almost all of the major players in the handle/line game for wakeboarding and the only two I would recommend are Hyperlite (accurate) or Follow. I had problems with LF, Ronix, and Proline (CWB) either falling apart within a couple months or the coating wadding up.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft NXT20
I own a follow one bought from blemboards.com and love it. Gear held up all year and never sank like some of my other ones

Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Moomba Craz 6.0L Raptor
+1 on LF products lacking. Very innovative at times, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

With handles/ropes I can attest to Corey's statement-Accurate (lines, HL/Ronix Handles) and Follow are the best on the market when it comes to quality and durability.

The handle is just a matter of preference- the majority of pro-model (endorsed by pro riders, I.E. "the murray handle", etc. ) tend to have features that make them built to last: Nylon overlay, with neoprene cushioning that is stitched into the handle base, etc., not molded foam.

Of note, the traditional "Chamois" handles are very comfortable to grip and are very buoyant but have the tendency to what I call "motorcycle" (when the glue gives way and only the stitching holds the fabric in place and it tends to spin like a bike throttle- that's why it's important to pay attention to the stitching patters on the handle). Newer generation handles 17'/18'(speaking of only hyperlite as that's all I've bought for the last 10+ years) have resolved this issue with elaborate stitching patterns to hold the fabric in place after the glue wears.

The majority of handles are buoyant, it's the ropes that are hit or miss. The coated ropes tend to float, but can be a pain in the a$$ to wind up until they're broken in and they do tend to kink, etc. However, these are more the norm as they do float. Most ropes are 70' standard and come with links to get you to 55'.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Combination ropes/handles tend to be focused on entry level riders and aren't going to have the creature comforts and quality as the more expensive ropes would. Pro-riders endorse these handles/ropes because it's what they use (A LOT).
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPRES View Post
+1 on LF products lacking. Very innovative at times, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

With handles/ropes I can attest to Corey's statement-Accurate (lines, HL/Ronix Handles) and Follow are the best on the market when it comes to quality and durability.

The handle is just a matter of preference- the majority of pro-model (endorsed by pro riders, I.E. "the murray handle", etc. ) tend to have features that make them built to last: Nylon overlay, with neoprene cushioning that is stitched into the handle base, etc., not molded foam.

Of note, the traditional "Chamois" handles are very comfortable to grip and are very buoyant but have the tendency to what I call "motorcycle" (when the glue gives way and only the stitching holds the fabric in place and it tends to spin like a bike throttle- that's why it's important to pay attention to the stitching patters on the handle). Newer generation handles 17'/18'(speaking of only hyperlite as that's all I've bought for the last 10+ years) have resolved this issue with elaborate stitching patterns to hold the fabric in place after the glue wears.

The majority of handles are buoyant, it's the ropes that are hit or miss. The coated ropes tend to float, but can be a pain in the a$$ to wind up until they're broken in and they do tend to kink, etc. However, these are more the norm as they do float. Most ropes are 70' standard and come with links to get you to 55'.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Combination ropes/handles tend to be focused on entry level riders and aren't going to have the creature comforts and quality as the more expensive ropes would. Pro-riders endorse these handles/ropes because it's what they use (A LOT).
What is the difference between A Lines and X Lines?

Old 04-05-2018, 07:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X1
Just length
Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
I've tried almost all of the major players in the handle/line game for wakeboarding and the only two I would recommend are Hyperlite (accurate) or Follow. I had problems with LF, Ronix, and Proline (CWB) either falling apart within a couple months or the coating wadding up.
I second this. Iíve had the best experience from Accurate. Both rope and handle.