Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Sport Star 19 305
Angry Big OOP's Gel Coat

We had a screw up - trailer mishap..... the picture says it all...

I checked the local MC dealer - They quoted $980.. Does anyone know a GEl Coat guy around the AUstin, TX area (That They Trust?)

This is right above the D-ring (Bow) http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11837&stc=1&d=11532579 19
Attached Images

98 Sport Star 190, 305 TBI, 6 Beer Holders

"I ain't never seen a hearst with a luggage rack"
Old 07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Search your area. Something like this would be $200 at Jimmy Smith Fiberglass Repairs. I had a deep scratch like that down lower from the front trailer roller bracket. Can't even tell its been repaired.

rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle
Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
double post

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle
Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryin-again
We had a screw up - trailer mishap..... the picture says it all...

I checked the local MC dealer - They quoted $980.. Does anyone know a GEl Coat guy around the AUstin, TX area (That They Trust?)

This is right above the D-ring (Bow) http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11837&stc=1&d=11532579 19

I'm trying to picture what that is and how it happened....

$980
get it in writing and hold them to it

sounds cheap

edit....the picture looks bigger than it is. it is in the glass and that will require some TLC, I was told a good gelcoat repair will extend 12" beyond the damage in every direction so get twelve inches of string and draw a circle around the damage.....

Last edited by Farmer Ted; 07-18-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler

Sorry don't know anyone in TX.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Maristar 225 VRS, LT1
That's cheap. I'd have them start tomorrow!!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Judging from the photo, I'd say that sounds like a very low figure. I know two people in Texas that I'd trust to do glass work on my boat, but neither of them is in or near Austin. That's not to say there's no one good there, I just don't know of them as I didn't own a boat when I lived there.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
I guess that I'd probably call all of the dealerships there and ask them. It's not going to hurt anything and if they all come up with a similar answer that should be worth something. I wish I could be more help especially for something like this.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Sport Star 19 305
Thanks Guys.... I am tracking down an old mechanic I knew in the early 90's - I just found out he is back and working at a close dealer.. He had moved to work for Mercruiser at Fond de lok(sp?) anyway he's probably got some connections....
Just for info.. I put a crappy (brand new) roller on because the original was torn... it was what they were selling as replacement..... it failed big time..... also my partners15 year old may have been loading a little fast... but the roller was sh***t - I should have realized it when I put it on. My Fault - not the kid's.....

98 Sport Star 190, 305 TBI, 6 Beer Holders

"I ain't never seen a hearst with a luggage rack"
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft 205
There are a couple of places in the Lakeway area that do very nice work. There is a place right across the street from the main entrance into Lakeway I believe it is called Custom Boats of Austin, while I have not personally had them do any work for me I have looked at a couple of boats they have repaired and I was unable to see the repair. I have talked to them and they were quite happy to take me out back and show me their work. They only do fiberglass repair on boats, normally there are a number of boats waiting for repair, some are high end cigarette boats.

There is also a place a mile or so east of Lakeway on 620 called Dewart Fiberglass. I had them do a fiberglass repair on a motorhome I purchased earlier this year and they did a great job for a very reasonable price. They mainly work on boats. They were also very willing to show me the work they do. They had a boat they were working on that had a crack running across the fiberglass floor liner, they had repaired the crack and were in the process of putting the antislip design back in the repair, talk about something tedious. The repair guy was having to manually grind the design back in with a small high speed grinder. In looking at it the piece that was completed looked perfect.

You could also ask this question on the austin 360 wakeboard forum. I know some of them have used a guy out by Steiner Ranch and have been very happy with his service and price.