Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-Star
X-Star Prop Question???

I have an 05 X-Star with the MCX engine. I have 2 props, a spare and the OEM. The props are 13.7x17V HC OJ. I took off the OEM a few weeks ago to have it trued. We have a lot of logs and sticks here, so I keep them trued and change them once or twice a summer.

Well, as luck would have it, I bumped a submerged log/stick etc. last night. I felt the usual wobble of a bent blade and headed to the dock.

Called my son. He brought my OEM back from home (which I haven't taken to get trued yet, but still runs pretty true) Also, called the dealer and they sent me a new one off of one of their 06 X-Stars.

Long story short, the new one from the 06 has the same markings, yet I cannot for the life of me get the interior splines to line up and fit. I spoke with my dealer and he couldn't help much.

I have put the OEM prop back on and that works fine for the weekend. My question is mainly....am I missing something?

All 3 props have the same markings, yet only 2 fit on and off easily. Is the shaft of the 06 and 05 x-stars different?

Thanks for any help here.

2005 Turn Bouy Orange X-Star
w/ 'Mastercraft by Design' Bling

Official Hydrofoil Junkie
Sky Ski B39 with Soft-Tail Seat
and Cinchmax Strap and Bindings
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: PS197, 2005, MCX
Sorry to hear that. I would call the dealer and ask.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

I did...dealer did not have an answer. He said that sometimes they are hard to put on....

Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 05, MCX/// 93 S&S 190 285 HP HO
Hey Ric,
If there is the slightest burr within the splines it wont go, only other possibility I can think of is possibly something got switched ,you got a prop with a different shaft size?? These are my only 2 thoughts I can come up with. I too have dinged one this summer--on the lift. Bought an Acme 4 blade and it seems to be very smooth with the same performance. Let me know how it works out.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

I am just gonna return it and get another. They were out of replacement props and he said that they would have some next week. The one I put back on seemed fine. Put 4 more hours on the X-Star yesterday and she ran smooth.

I have a prop fetish a little....ie...at Center Hill Reservoir in Tn, it is very wooded. The Corps of Engineers owns all the land around the lake including about 200-400 yds off the lake. That is federal land and cannot be disturbed....therefore, a lot of wooden debris is in the lake in the spring and early summer. Inevitably, one hits some of this junk and gets some prop bendage, therefore, I swap and tune them alot.

I now will have 3 props...that should do me for a while...

Old 07-17-2006, 09:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 40th anniv X Star
props

you are doing the right thing keeping a properly balanced and conditioned prop on the boat, even the slightest vibration can harm the transmission or at a minumum loosen up critical hardware.

If you are hitting objects frequenetly have you ever damged a front fin? I am wondering how difficult these are to replace / repair?

06 X star
LE 38 Ski Ski

40th anniv X-Star
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have actually had to replace a front fin....how did you guess?

They are glued on as well as screwed on with a large allen screw. I ended up getting an allen set that fit a ratchet. That worked well since they are in pretty tight. After you get the screws out, you will need to 'knock' off the fin since it is glued....I used a hammer and tapped....

I then placed the new glue ( I forgot which type) and screwed the new one on...good to go!

I did that in some rocks...won't go there again!

Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
TT Regular

Last year I had a similar problem with an OJ 13.7 x 17 prop not fitting on the splined shaft. I returned it and my dealer gave me a replacement which fit perfectly. Maybe you were sold the prop I returned!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
Just as a note, I went out yesterday with my dealer (and friend) on his Xstar. He said in passing that somebody found the sweat spot on Xstars with the MCX regarding props. He said that its an unbelievable difference, HUGE.

I didnt ask how to get one or if they are available yet on the open market, I dont have an Xstar.

If you want me to ask I will. However, I would guess that any of the dealers that went to training probably were given the same information.

For what its worth....just thought I would throw it out there.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Would love for you to find out...my dealer is not the best in that department....thanks

Would even order one from him if he has what I need...