Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-28-2004, 04:52 PM
TT Regular

Trailer storage

When not in use, some recommend putting the trailer on blocks. I have a tandem axel with leaf springs. Should I put the blocks under the axels, and thus just take the weight off the tires? Or should I block the trailer frame and let the axels, springs and tires hang free? Thanks. Bill Z
Old 10-28-2004, 05:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Opinions will vary on this, but if you're going to put in the effort to put the trlr on blocks, I'd block it off the frame and take the stress off the tires and springs. I've personally never blocked up a trailer during storage and have not noticed any detrimental effects due to this.
Old bias ply tires used to develop a flat spot when sitting in once place for extended periods, especially when cold. W/ radial tires this has become a non issue.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
What Thrall said.....
Old 10-28-2004, 06:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I had stored my 92 Camaro (show condition) when I was at college and my uncle recommended that I not put it up on blocks as this would cause the axle and the springs, etc. to bend towards the ground.

So what I did was leave the car on the ground as normal and just move it once every week or two weeks in the garage to get the tires moving. This worked out well and I never had any problems.

Just my
Old 11-01-2004, 05:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I never block my '95 single-axle up & never had any problems.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
See http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=966

I had a few tires blow out in the past couple of years and most people I talked too said that storing tires outside, under load, in the cold is bad. I can't do much about the outside and cold part, but it doesn't take long to jack up the trailer (I just set the axle on jack stands under the spring perches) and let some air out of the tires.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X2 350MCX
Send a message via ICQ to TalleyHo Send a message via MSN to TalleyHo Send a message via Yahoo to TalleyHo
Any thoughts on how this might apply to trailers w/ the torsion axle? I don't have any springs, just a big *** piece of rubber in tube. I was planning on leaving it where it is; but then again, Dallas Tx isn't really known for it's tire-flattening cold temps either.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
This is the exact wording from the 2004 owners manual on trailer storage (pg 26-10).

"Jack up the trailer and place blocks under the trailer frame to take most of the weight off the trailer springs and tires."

That tells me that no matter what type of suspension system you have that the trailer needs to have "most" not all of its weight off the suspension and tires. In other words don't let the tires just hang in the air.